Help! Powerhead question

sillynecco

I just added another powerhead in my 75g tank, and i was just curious as to where i should put it. I bought it because my NO3 levels were high and i was told that increasing current could bring those levels down. I had it on as high as it would go 680 gph, and it seems like the fish were on a slip and slide of some sort. so i backed it down a little, but wasnt sure what direction i needed to have it or the depth.
can someone please help me?

A

andretti

First of all you need to make sure there are no "dead spots" Those are areas where water does not move. Second, you need to have a few more P/Hs. You need to be cycling roughly 15-20 times the volume of your tank. For your tank, you need to be running 1125-1500 gph. That's, pumps, P/H, skimmers, filters etc.

marsciguy

I Agree, Dead Spots Will Cause You More Trouble In The Future. What I Do Is Use MicroFlow PH's They Are About The Size Of A Silver Dollar. They Stay Well Hidden And Put Out About 150GPH, I Place Them So The Current Shifts In The Tank. Only Draw Back Is They Have To Be Unclogged Every Month Or So, And The Power Adapter Is HUGE.

sillynecco

Thank you for the compliment, i got some nice rock that has a lot of nooks and crannies in it, a good home for my eel and trigger and flame scallop!
Where is the best place to get those ph that you were talking about? How many you think i need, 4 total?
THe PH i have now can crank out 680 gph, plus my pump in my sump pumps 900 gph.

marsciguy

Your Filter GPH Is Good, What I Would Do Is Have 1 PH(Maybe 2) Blow Across The Back Of Your Rock Work, 1 (or 2) Blow Across The Front Of The Rock Work And Have 1 400-600GPH (Give Or Take A 100/GPH) As Your Main Current. Of Course Everyone Has They 're Own Method Of Powerhead Configuration, This Is Just What I Do And Works Very Well For Me.
The Brand Of Micro PH I Use Are Aquaglobe Micro Powerheads, And For Main Current I Use AquaClear 802 PH, Im Not Sure What The Rules Are About Posting Links To Other Stores To Buy Them, But Just Do A Search For It On Google Or Yahoo.
The Micro PH's Do Really Well If You Need To Ajust The Current Path, Also Look Into ZooMed PowerSweep Ph's. They Move Back And Forth Dispersing Current For Rock Work.
Please Also Remember The Goal Is To Make Moderate To Strong Current (Just About) Everywhere, Not HURRICANE FORCE CURRENTS LOL...
Later On If You Get Coral Or Inverts That Dont Like Strong Current You Can Ajust.