Help!!! RedHair Algae Bloom

I have recently developed a problem with red hair algae. I was happy that my sand had some algae on it but now that has become a redish/brownish hair. Whats going on? I am still feeding them the same amount as I have for the last 6 mon., same flow I have (2)koralia pumps - (1)#2 & (1)#3, a prizm protein skimmer, an aquaclear 500, and a Fluval 305 filter.
I recently purchased a sump and overflow from another "SWF" forum member and waiting for it to arrive so I can set it up. I will need additional help with that once I get it. But for now please give me some advise, because it looks ugly/dirty.
Thanks, Frog/lionman

rockytop714

we have/had a similar problem in our tank. the guy at the local pet store suggested cutting back the amount of light and keeping an eye on temprature. he also suggested snails. I cut an hour of light off both ends (2 hours total) and put 6 mexican turbo snails in the tank. they seem to be doing a pretty good job, so far.

fishfreak1242

I had the very same problem in my tank about a month ago. It actually isnt an algae, its cyano bacteria. Try pointing your powerheads directly at the bacteria. Also, you can use chemi-clean. It works REALLY well. But be careful because your protein skimmer goes crazy after your done with it. Mine filled an entire 2 liter bottle with waste overnight.

mr_x

just increase the flow in that area and do a few waterchanges as you siphon out the visible cyano. don't add chemicals to your sensitive reef tank.

shaunalynna

I have the algae growing on my rocks right now. Sounds as though you have the same thing. I was told this is how the tank cycles. I have just been cleaning my media chambers, doing small water changes, keeping lights off mostly for now anyhow and also now trying to figure out how to get it off my rocks. It is only on the rocks so no need to siphon or can't really! Hmmm thats the delima.