Help ! Scarlet hermit bodies

toddius

My scarlet hermit crabs are being killed and I don't know who the culperit is. Can anyone help? All I have in my tank is 1 coral beauty and 3 damsels (55 gal.) plus turbo snails and blue hermits,1 coralbanded shrimp, 2 pepermint shrimp, 2 brittle stars, 2 serpent stars and 4 emerald crabs. Will any of these kill my scarlets? I would hate to buy more only to be feeding something else.Also I have 75lbs. of LR which was fully cured before placement in my tank. Any ideas would be apprieciated. :mad:

toddius

How often do they molt? I can see their body and it looks like flesh at the end like something was eating on it. I added extra shells to try to keep them from stealing each others shells but I still find almost complete bodies and pieces of leg and claws. There is carnage everywhere. Started with 20 and I can only find 10 at the most. :confused:

otto13

i really think it might be molts. it looks like half of the body. almost an exact replica. this happens about once every 2 months in my tank. i mean it looks just like a dead hermit crab, but if you pull it out, it is a hollow molt. however, i have had hermits fight over shells. zebra hermits are the worst about fighting.
good luck
otto

tipsicat

hi Todd..
I have had the same problem with scarlet reds!...I put 3 in my 28 Gal. (20lbs. LR and 2.5" LSB) and all was great for a week or so...then I started finding pieces of them...don't think they molted because the shells are still in the tank...and no crabs :(
I still don't know why. Do U have pepermint shrimps?...I have 2 qnd thought they might be the culprits...???
If U find out anything, please email me...I'll do the same. Gia
*TIPSICAT@AOL.COM
:confused: :confused:
[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: TIPSICAT ]

jacksonpt

I was having the same problem about a week ago, but it seems to have stopped. I do think a couple of the 'deaths' were just molts because I can't find any empty shells laying around. I am suspiscious of the blue hermits though as I have seen them gang up on other shelled critters (other blues, snails, and reds). Seems to happen at night only.

toddius

I do have pepermint shrimp and blue leg hermits and I believe it could be either of them. Guess I'm going to have to try some night surveilance. Thanks :p

fat_ed

My view on hermit crabs is lifted from the football coach in Dazed & Confused: "OSS, Only the Strong Survive." They roll around, cliff-dive off the live rock and squabble over shells -- it's only natural with such a high-impact lifestyle that some are not going to make it.

I reaslly doubt its the peppermints, I have four in my tank with numerous hermits and alwasy watch them. Peppermints will eat a hermit that has expired but would have a hard time yanking a healthy hermit out of their shell. Blues, on the other hand, I dispise , these little suckers are like little gang members and will team up to take out other inverts. What about the stars? Could also be the culprits as I have seen them corner other inverts. I would also pay close attention to your ph, salinity, etc. to ensure that they are not dying off due to water quality and simply being eaten after they expire. Also, if hermits molt and desire or need a larger shell and ther is not one available they will hide out in rock work or become quite lethargic while they wait for new real estate. Make sure there is a variety of shells in both form and size as sometimes these little guys will be picky and not always accept what is offered...even if it means they are vulnerable and soon to become a snack. gl!

playtime

I am not saying that these are the culprits but I am having trouble with my serpants. So far, they have eaten about 12 snails and a new atlantic anenome. I know they are getting enough food so I don't understand it. You might check into it though.
playtime

toddius

I think I found the problem. I have been watching them rather close lately and I have seen a war going on they will attack each other even though I have a very wide assortment of shells in all sizes. Guess they just like to fight. There is plenty of food and space and they don't pick on anyone else. Their own personal gang war who knows maybe it will end or maybe not. Anyone else seen this? :eek:

oozy

i thought the same thing when i say body parts, i saw my sally among the carnage.
so i thought it was the killer, anyway later i saw all 5 hermits and realised that one molted.
-Oozy-