help serpent star loosing legs

lion_crazz

It could be from a predator, it could be from osmotic shock, or even from poor water quality.
How long have you had it?
What are your water levels?
What else is in the tank with him?

tundar4

tank levels good just got some damsels,and 1 sailfin tang,legs are laying beside star ,i dont think anything is eating it ,

lion_crazz

Okay, well then I guess he is fine?

I am not really sure why anyone asks a question if they do not want to answer the questions that the people who are trying to help ask. "Good" water levels to you may be totally different than "good" water levels to me. I would only know your definition of "good" by you listing the number. Many people think water levels that are not so good are actually "good".
For example, one time, while working in an local fish store, someone came up to me and asked me why all of their hard corals and clams would die all of a sudden. He told me that all of his water levels were "good" and that "nothing had changed in the tank". I had to probe him for a few minutes and I began to ask him his water conditions. His calcium was a little over 500, his "alkalinity" was 1.022, and he had no idea what alkalinity really was. Then, to top all of that, he asked me if a temperature rise could have possibly killed his corals. After replying that it could, he finally admitted that his temperature went up to 92 degrees earlier in the week.

sk8shorty01

I would say that losing limbs is not a good sign, as in most stars that is a really bad sign. I believe the only exception is the Blue Linckia as that is there way of "spawning". I believe that is the star that does this type of multiplying, as I remember reading about a star that did this. Losing limbs in general is a bad sign. List your parameters if you want more help.

larryndana

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
I would say that losing limbs is not a good sign, as in most stars that is a really bad sign. I believe the only exception is the Blue Linckia as that is there way of "spawning". I believe that is the star that does this type of multiplying, as I remember reading about a star that did this. Losing limbs in general is a bad sign. List your parameters if you want more help.
i don't think linkias are the only stars that drop legs as a way of reproduction.

larryndana

oh and water parameters will help, 'good' doesn't mean anything.
also drip acclumation is great, but for how long?