Help- skimmer broke/ tank is cloudy?

jeffsz28

my skimmer powerheads impellar cracked straight down the middle? anyhow i went to the gym and came back in a hr and heard a loud noise. my tank was all cloudy since the skimmer was messed up. why is the tank cloudy? did the skimmer release the bad elements back into the tank?

ctgretzky9

I think the worst thing is that if any of the lubrication leaked into the tank...that would be majorly bad! Although to be honest, Im not sure if lube is used at all in some of these new heads, but I have heard of things like this happening in the past.
I probably haven't helped much...lol...but see if there is any kind of "oil slick" looking fluid anywhere. Other than that, I'm not sure if there are any other toxic parts that could pollute the water.
Either way, ya got a bump here...

kaotik

Is there any way that the impeller being broken could have caused a reverse siphon and pumped any junk back into your tank that was in the skimmer?
just a thought:notsure:

ricky1863

what was the water temp when you got home? Im wondering if the pump was in a bind and locking up and that is what clouded your tank. have you did a water change? and are you running carbon?

dburr

1 more idea, could it be air/water mixture you see? That will "look" cloudy for a few minutes.
How did you make out?

jeffsz28

well the tank still looks cloudy and a hr after the pump was broken i found my clownfish dead...... i have had him for a year and was healthy as hell... didn't have time to go across town for some more test kits.. something went wrong, all the corals are alive but closed up.. temp is fine nothing changed with it. i have no clue what happened?

ricky1863

it sounds like your pump burnt up its like when a motor burns up you see smoke but since the pump was in the water i think that is what your cloud is but maybe some others will respond with there opinions