Help starting aggressive FOWLR

no_wedge

Hi, i am starting to plan out an aggressive FOWLR tank, and was needing some advice and help. I have narrowed it down to sizes 125-150gal, and a sump no smaller than 33gal.
Need help picking out a skimmer, UV sterilizer, lighting, and anything else i might need for a succesful tank. also any sump plans would be great. I plan on atleast 1 lionfish, couple angels, tangs, frogfish, and maybe a puffer or two

R

rcreations

You might want to read up on the fish you want. The puffer and lion don't go together and large angels tend to harass lions too. If you take out the lion from your list, the rest of the fish should be fine. Not too sure about the leaf fish. I recommend doing some research on fish compatibility first.
For skimmer, look into the Octopus Extreme. Lighting... anything will do for a FOWLR, it's just a matter of what looks good to you. You don't really need a UV Sterilizer, so I would skip that one for now.

R

rcreations

Puffers like to bite the lions fins and will end up killing the lion.

skate020

this is true, they say the puffer will go with the lion because it wont eat it, no it wont eat it but it will kill it, IMO 2 angels will go fine with the lion, AS LONG as its ATLEAST 6' long tank, any smaller and your angels wont have enough space, not even for one, they need atleast 6', i tried to haggle my way into trying to put one into a 4ft tank that was 5ft high but the hight isnt to important, but they NEED 6'. cant stress about that enough.
the best person you should talk to is Cranberry, she knows the A-Z of lions and frogfish, they go together, but i dont think the frogfish will be ok with the tangs or angels, you may end up spending $200 on a fish and the frogfish may decide he fancys it for dinner, kill it, then leave it, there nasty, take on things ALOT bigger then them too so i've heard.
so your best bet is to stick with something like this:
2x large angels (if its a 6' tank, if not then 2x dwarf angels)
1x volitan lion
1x sailfin tang/purple tang/yellow tang
1x hippo tang/ achilles tang/ most surgeons
maybe an eel?
something like that. if you want the lion, stay away from triggers and puffers.
you also need to make sure that when you buy the tangs, you get 2 Different species, like if you get a purple and a yellow, because they are so similar chances are they'll fight, same with the sailfin, so get one from each group and you may be ok.
Lionfish are NOT aggresive, if there hungry and something will fit in its mouth, it'll eat it, but it will never bully a fish. puffers on the other hand will bully, they very commonly bite off the fins of the lions, then the lions get an infection, and dies. very common mistake. i wanted a lion and a trigger so bad, but they just dont go:(

small triggers

aggressive Fish Only tank, id say max of 6 depending on what you want.. that would be a mix like 2 trigger, 2 tang and 2 angels....and even at that,,, they will need a larger tank when full grown, if we are talking fish that get over a foot in length when full grown youll want them to be comfortable...It will take 2-4 years for them to get almost full grown (depending upon which species) SO???? what fish are you thinking about?

Originally Posted by no_Wedge
http:///forum/post/3170047
from what i've read puffers get along with almost anything, and lionfish anything not small.
The best luck I've had with puffers have all been triggers. The lion I used to have not so great. And I used to have a tang but the trigger attacked the hell out of him. Maybe I had a demon fish I dunno! I would watch out putting an undulated trigger in they are very aggressive.
Always a good thing when you try and buy them the same size they should be less aggressive towards each other.

no_wedge

yea i don't plan on adding any triggers and if i do it would be the last thing, but let me get a list together and I'll post it.

skidemon95

i have a puffer, clown trigger, picasso trigger, foxface, blue face angel, and a lion and they stay away from him. they dont bother him what so ever.

calbert0

Originally Posted by Skidemon95
http:///forum/post/3171040
i have a puffer, clown trigger, picasso trigger, foxface, blue face angel, and a lion and they stay away from him. they dont bother him what so ever.
Well that means you are one of the lucky ones. But beware, fish (like people) change. One day they might not get along so well.

skidemon95

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3171041
Well that means you are one of the lucky ones. But beware, fish (like people) change. One day they might not get along so well.
yeah im watching them carefully. first sign and the lion is out. i hope not though. he is really cool. i able to hand feed him lol.

no_wedge

Ok im putting together a stocking list, but i want angelfish to be the main focus since they are beautiful, question is how many large and dwarf can be together i've heard maybe 2 large, but how or if any dwarf.
current list:
Emperor Angelfish, and possibly another large angel, and a few dwarfs if possible.
Butterfly Raccoon or copperband
Blue tang maybe another
Marine Betta (will this survive with sufficient rock work?)
1 type of Wrasse
1 Puffer (if suitable)
Can damsels go with these bigger fish?

srfisher17

I agree with RCreations on the UV issue. UV will not cure or prevent a parasite infestation. I've seen folks who think they don't have to QT because they have UV.
Also, I'd skip the damsels. They can, and will harass much bigger fish to the point of death. (No kidding) My rule on damsels is: "Never put them in with fish that can't eat them."
BTW, Marine Bettas are easy, predatory fish. They don't depend on LR for food, they just need a hiding spot.

small triggers

you can find 2 dwarfs to go with 2 larger ones, the challenge will be finding ones that wont fight... Im not to sure about these as i dont have any..And personally i would skip the puffer(they get really large and mean) unless you do a smaller toby species, and what kind of wrasse? flasher or larger predatory? a 12 line is really cool and doesnt get to big, though a coris is gorgeous but gets large,,,as far as the butterflys go they like less aggressive fish from what ive seen but you could try a bannerfish maybe??blue tang is okay but there are so many other choices a sohal or a sailfisn would be a striking contrast to the wrasse..or even a kole tang if you dont have anything else purply in the tank

jp30338

Just an fyi,
I have had my porcy puffer and lion together for over a year and a half now...

I also have a sharptail eel, blonde naso tang, blackback butterfly, lunare wrasse, and goldflake angel in a 180g.