Help starting out a reef tank

y2says

I just bought a 35g hexagon tank and I want to make it a small reef tank. I was wondering about live rocks. What kind of lighting should I have? How much of the live rocks should I put in it? Do I really need a skimmer? I also have a 75g f/o tank and I don't have a skimmer right now. All the fish and water are fine. xxxxxxxxxx.com has Fuji rocks and base rocks. What is difference? The base rocks are a lot cheaper. Thanks for your help. :)
Listing competitors' addresses is not authorized
:mad:
[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: BurnNSpy ]

zack schwartz

I don't much about the lighting but for a 35 you should have about 20-30 pounds of live rock. If you buy off line you should buy from the xxxxxxxxxxxx.com. 5 $3.50 a pound plus 1.50 per pound for shipping.
Listing competitors' addresses is not authorized.
:mad:
[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: BurnNSpy ]

First off two of you have links that the sharks ain't gonna like (just a warning). Now to the questions. They say 1-2 lbs of LR per gallon of water. As far as lighting goes, that depends on what you plan on keeping. Figure on 3-5 watts per gallon minimum. The skimmer will get you mixed answers. Some yes and some no. Me yes. And base rock is just that. It's the rock that you use to form the base of the rock structure. It doesn't have as much "live" stuff as fiji, mashall island, etc...

y2says

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted the site. Thanks for your help about the rocks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.