Help Starting Sump

garnet13aj

I just moved and am having trouble starting the siphon on my overflow box for the sump now that I have it all set up. My ex-boyfriend originally set it up at the old house so if there's a trick I don't know about it.
I set it up, turned on the pump and the water started rising above the overflow box but when I suck the tube to try to start the siphon nothing happens. Am I missing some key component of the process?

fishfreak1242

The water should be lower on the side that you want the water to siphon into than the other side. If you do it correctly, it will siphon.

retired

Make sure the overflow box on the outside has water in it to create the siphon and make sure your water suction tube is at the top of the U tube. I tried one day and couldn't get it started and I didn't have any water on the outside so a siphon was not created -

garnet13aj

So, I posted the picture because I'm bad at explaining things sometimes. The box is lower on the outside of the tank where the water flows down to the sump...but the water has to flow up before it flows down. How do I get it to do that?