Help Tank trouble

seaham358

I had this in the Fish section.
My 125 reef is having trouble. This morning when the lights came on the water was cloudy so I thought it might be my caluerpa going sexual, so I looked and found nothing wrong there. After taking a closer look 80% of my snails were on the sand upside down, they were not dead they just fell off the rock and glass. Then I looked at my corals 90% of them looked like crap closed up smaller then I have ever seen before.
Checked amm-.25, nitrite-0, NO3- barely detectable, temp 77.8, salinity 1.25.5
My smaller fish seem ok but my naso and scopus were breathing faster then normal.
So I checked all pumps and found my Rio 1400 on my UV was not running and the hose coming out of the UV smelled bad. So I did a 16 gal water chang(all I had) and threw in 2 bags of carbon.
After 3 hours still cloudy any ideas???
Corals, several kinds of shroons around 70 total
Kenya tree 3- or so not looking bad at all
Colt not as bad as others
Galexia, frog spawn, rose hammer, torch, bubble, green hammer all look like crap
Zoos all not open
Button polyps open, normal?
Any ideas......
My skimmer is kicked way down the water is at the base of the tube like when I feed so this leads me to think something got in the water.
Can corals release anything that would do this?
All fish accounted for but I am missing my orange linkia, he hides well...............
Only added Cal and alk b-ionic before the lights came on......
Also my anthelia poylops have been looking a little down lately could they be dieing and releasing something?

zotl

Do you have any sea cucumbers or other toxic guys (Foxfaces, etc.) that could have died and released toxins?

beachbumtx

HIya!,
It sounds like something died. However, with 125gal, it takes at lot to kick up ammonia (more than a snail or two...or even a fish). Put any uncured LR in recently?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by BeachBumTX
HIya!,
It sounds like something died. However, with 125gal, it takes at lot to kick up ammonia (more than a snail or two...or even a fish). Put any uncured LR in recently?

My thought or a dead fish of large size or some macro did go "sexual" and totally dissolved.

seaham358

Fuge looks fine? I will cut it off for a while and see if it clears the 125. All fish accounted for and cucumber is fine and both stars. Reomved 16 snails and pu them in my 55 fowlr to see if they make it.
Ok did another 20 gal water change and it is sill cloudy. Cleaned skimmer also.
Found my good serafert test kit for amm and it was white so undetectable........
Has to be some coral releasing something...... All I know is that is it for water changes till tomorrow.
Thanks all the for help......

reef fool

An update on Seaham's tank. Looks like his Rio pump running his UV sterilizer died and the bulb melted down the inside of the UV chamber.
Everyone get those old Rio's out of the tank, QUICK!!!!
:eek:

barry cuda

Now that's just ugly ... did the whole tank crash? I can't even begin to guess what chemicals would be in the water if that happened, but I'm sure nothing good. I hope he's managing to salvage at least some of the livestock.

seaham358

I'd like to thank everyone for replying to my post. What I found out was that when the Rio 1400 failed to restart after a power outage 3 days ago, the UV light baked the inside of the plastic housing making a fine white powder and chunks. This fine particles found its way into my tank. After 40 gallons in water changes and cleaning everything I gave up and went to bed. Woke up this morning and it looked worse the corals were closed up tighter then before. So its time to set up a 40 and 75 and drain the tank.......
Due to having OUTSTANDING friends/members in the HVRK they helped me out when I called. I had more stuff then I needed. Set up the 75 and was trying to figure out how to make a sump or to just go with my Fluval. I called Joe at Aquarium fish on Rt. 376 and he said come on down I'll let you borrow my wet/dry with overflow box. So I went and told him the problems and he said try my diatom filter first before you drain the tank.
So with having nothing to loose I gave it a try, to my amazement that filter had my tank looking better in 1 hour, in 3 hours almost back to normal and the skimmer is now running and my fish are not breathing as hard. I lost 1 purple fire fish and the corals look better after I moved them to the 75.
Again I want to thank everyone for helping me out in a time of need. I was ready to scrap the 125 totally and just keep my fish only set ups.