Help the new guy!!!

kirsch66

I am having major issues controlling the nitrates in my tank. The tank is several years old, but I have only had it for a few months. My nitrates are off the chart. I changed 20 gl on Wednesday, and another 20 gl on Thursday. My tank is 92 gl. How many water changes do I need to do before I see the nitrates lower? My substrate is a crushed coral, that has been in the tank for 3 years. I was told that after that long, the crushed coral will release nitrates back into the tank. Is that true? Will I have to change my substrate?
My other question is about the usage of a protein skimmer? Do you need to run it every day? I was told to run it 24-48 hours per month. Plus, for a few days after you add new fish, rock, etc.
Thanks in advance! :help:

tony detroit

Most people skim all day every day. I would.
As far as nitrates, you can reduce "bio waste". Don't overfeed. Do a 5-10% water change each wekend with RO water. Don't do 20gal changes only a few days apart like you did, you'll stress out the tank and things will die. As far as the CC goes, you could get some sand deitrus eating animals like a fighting conch, a sandsifting star, some crabs would be good for a start too.

kirsch66

Thanks for the response! Would you mind telling me what RO water is? Also, will my Huma Huma Trigger bother the crabs? Currently, I have a Choc Chip Star, and a larger Hermit Crab. I'm guessing that this is not enough.

birdy

I When you do a water change do you use a gravel vaccume to suck all the crud out of the cc? If not you need to start doing that. I also suggest 10% weekly water changes. I think in the long run you would be happier if you switched your cc to a sandbed. The trigger could very possibly eat any crabs you have in your tank. you could try it out by buying one and see what happens. Other nitrate reducing things are reducing feedings, once everyother day should be plenty. The single best thing you can do to reduce nitrates is to set up a refugium (do a search on this) with macro algaes.

petem

Kirsch, RO water stands for Reverse Osmosis. It's a type of filtration that get hooked up to either a faucet or, more elaborate systems get hooked up the house's water supply. Water gets forced through a series of membranes/filters (the number of which depends on the stages of the unit) and comes out void of elements, nasty chemicals..etc. etc.

kirsch66

I will give the vacume a try on my next water change. Any type of crab I should try that has a better chance of surviving the Huma? He leaves my hermit crab alone if that means anything!
So, there is truth to my issue with the CC? Should I be able to control the nitrates without changing substrates?

cprdnick

You could control it a little better, but I and the rest will still suggest you switch over to sand eventually. You'll be happier with it.
Also, have you checked your top off water source for nitrates? If you are using tap water that may be one of you bigger issues, and eventually you may see a pretty bad algae bloom.

tony detroit

Originally posted by kirsch66
Thanks for the response! Would you mind telling me what RO water is? Also, will my Huma Huma Trigger bother the crabs? Currently, I have a Choc Chip Star, and a larger Hermit Crab. I'm guessing that this is not enough.

Eventually the trigger will need a bigger tank and will eat the crabs and starfish.
Do yourself a favor before you spend 10 times the cost of a book and buy a good book. Best thing you can do for a new-b.

kirsch66

I am using tap water. However, I thought that using Amquil will take care of the problems. (Another lesson learned!)
Is there a particular book out there that you guys recommend?
Thanks for all of your help!!!