Help.. they always die

namas05

Smith's tested the lowest for what?
And yes you should test, for all before desiding to use that water. a small amount of nitrates won't hurt a human, but can kill a fish. Also it is possible that it contains chloride.
Invest in an RO/DI unit, that way you can be sure of the water quality.
And there is no tang that is ok for a 24 gallon tank, that is much to small for a tang of any type.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by namas05
http:///forum/post/2591964
Smith's tested the lowest for what?
And yes you should test, for all before desiding to use that water. a small amount of nitrates won't hurt a human, but can kill a fish. Also it is possible that it contains chloride.
Invest in an RO/DI unit, that way you can be sure of the water quality.
And there is no tang that is ok for a 24 gallon tank, that is much to small for a tang of any type.
I agree with all three statements in namas' post.

namas05

Originally Posted by MaDuncan
http:///forum/post/2591932
I researched them and both of them said they would be ok in a 24 gallon. But... seriously I have lost about 10 fish since december. I wait a month buy a few more and bam the die as soon as I change the water.
I bought a shrimp acclimated him, then added new water. he died. The only common thing about their death is it happens after a water change. I have not lost a fish any other time....
Well after spending hundreds on fish only to kill them maybe you should have spent that money on an RO/DI and you may be way ahead now.
Also you said you are adding reef suppliments? Do you have corals? If not then why add the reef suppliments?

namas05

How long after you bought the tank, was the addition of your first fish?
How long did you cycle the tank?

maduncan

Smiths tested lowest for tds.
I want to buy an RO/DI unit I just havent had the funds yet.
The tang I got off another website it said 25 gallon. I guess I should have checked a few more sites to make sure it was accurate. I dont plan on keeping the nano cube going though.

maduncan

Originally Posted by namas05
http:///forum/post/2591971
Well after spending hundreds on fish only to kill them maybe you should have spent that money on an RO/DI and you may be way ahead now.
Also you said you are adding reef suppliments? Do you have corals? If not then why add the reef suppliments?
Yes I have corals. I have 3 of them and and another one just appeared on its own the other day. Very cool.
I realize that now.. but I just barely realized hey, its every time I change water these fish die..

namas05

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to sound harsh here, but the fact is that I think you might be moving a little faster than your research. Slow down a bit. Take some time find out what you are buying and how to keep it, and keep it happy. Buy all the proper equipment for you tank before adding fish and corals, this includes good lighting and RODI unit. Research what you want, and what you have to offer it.
The biggest problem in this hobby is that people move to fast. if you have lost 10 fish sense Dec. that means you are moving to fast. Did you have a proper cycle on your tank? If not that could be part of the problem.
I know people that don't add anything to their tanks for 3 months after they are first set up. Why because in this hobby to have success is to be patient.
If not you will throw a lot of money out the window, kill a lot of live stock, and end up tearing down the tank and getting out of the hobby.
Also it is this wasted killing of the fish that make this hobby more difficult for the rest of us, as demand rises, and so do the costs, while supply dwindles,,,

maduncan

I did wait about 3 months before adding fish. I have just added them 2-3 at a time and like I have said I have another aquarium, that I just recently took out of use because of the green water problem.

edcook

Buy a Carbonate Hardness test kit, the Saltwater master test kit doesn't have one in it. My neighbor started to loose fish and corals a couple of weeks ago, he tested with everything in the master test kit, and all of the levels were fine. He got a kH kit to find that his level was through the roof. It turns out that the water he was using for changes had a very high kH level, so he switched to RO water and almost immediately everything started looking better. I'm still new at this, so I have no idea if this is what's going on in your tank, but I hope it helps.

florida joe

Lets assume for one min that it is related to the water changes do you use the same vessel every time you change water. If so was a new vessel if not what was in it before. Do you keep it covered until you are ready to use it? Do you store it in a garage or somewhere it can be picking up air born toxin?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2591966
I agree with all three statements in namas' post.
A small amount of nitrates kill fish? I've never heard of this. Nitrites, sure, but not nitrates. I think you'd have a hard time finding a lfs or online shipper that didn't have nitrates in their holding water.
There is something very weird, or something very obvious that we're all missing. Are you mixing the SW for at least a day, or at least adding a de-chlorinator before adding salt? With a 24 gal, I would never add more than one small fish every three weeks-maximum. With a small tank, adding anything can put quite a temporary stress on your bio-filter system. I also agree that a 24 gal is WAY too small for any tang and most puffers. I would think 3 small fish would be a reasonable limit.

ibew41

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2592057
Lets assume for one min that it is related to the water changes do you use the same vessel every time you change water. If so was a new vessel if not what was in it before. Do you keep it covered until you are ready to use it? Do you store it in a garage or somewhere it can be picking up air born toxin?
also how long after you acclimate the fish are you changing the water

srgvigil

Wow reading posts like this make me realize how lucky I have been
I have only lost 5 fish
1)lawnmower blenny (not sure why
2)firefish (killed by something at night perhaps my flame angel
3)clownfish
(another unknown death)
4) blue hippo tang (died in quarantine due to ich , he was a small juvi)
5_ flame hawkfish
(commited suicide by jumping outta tank)

macs2015

hi, i'm also new at this so i dont know much. but i've heard from my guy at my lfs that there are lots of things you can test for. like KH, copper, phosphates, calcium etc. maybe you need to check on those. i dont know whether it'll help of not and i dont know if these chems affect the fish. but since it seems we're all in a shadow might aswell try. really hope this all works out. hang in there!!!.

C

cmaxwell39

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2592057
I think you may be on to something here. What are you mixing the new saltwater in and what is the process that you are using to mix it? Maybe the new water is picking up something from the container you are mixing in,