HELP: Think coral beauty attacky my scooter

hellspawn

My scooter is missing a large chuck of it's dorsal fin. It's all frayed in the back and there is a tiny wond on his back. I know it wasn't my ocellaris clowns or my lawnmower blenny, so it has to be my coral beauty, who I also suspect of killing my emerald crab :mad: The beauty is the only fish that displays any aggression.
Now my scooter blenny is just kinda sitting on the bottom, not scooting around hardly at all and breathing harder than normal. His back is kind of whitish around the damage. He's not sifting through the sand looking for food like he usually does. what should I do?

meadbhb

Hiya,
Sorry to hear about your scooter. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my tank. How long did you have him and did he require any special diet like the manderine?
Meadbhb

hellspawn

I had him about 2 weeks. He didn't eat any of the flake or brine shrimp I offered, but he didn't get skinny. he just cruised around the live rock and sifted through the sand, so make sure you have pretty well established sand and LR. My tank's only been up like 1 1/2 months, but I have pods already and 130lbs of lr.

mary

Originally posted by Hellspawn
My scooter is missing a large chuck of it's dorsal fin. It's all frayed in the back and there is a tiny wond on his back. I know it wasn't my ocellaris clowns or my lawnmower blenny, so it has to be my coral beauty, who I also suspect of killing my emerald crab :mad: The beauty is the only fish that displays any aggression.
Now my scooter blenny is just kinda sitting on the bottom, not scooting around hardly at all and breathing harder than normal. His back is kind of whitish around the damage. He's not sifting through the sand looking for food like he usually does. what should I do?

mary

I didn't post that letter about the scooter blenny. Who ever you are, let yourself be known. This is really very strange. How did my name get someone elses letter?

mary

Hellspawn, How did that happen? The name mix up? At least I know who's blenny we are talking about. Sorry about your blenny. Two blennies can't usually be put together. They will often fight to the death. But, as to the two you have, I do not know. Bang Guy might. Ask him.. My lawnmower blenny would have killed another of it's kind but not sure about the different kinds. I was told never to put any blennies together and also have read that.

big slick

The scooter and lawnmower can co-exist. Best to have plenty of space for both to cruise though. Two lawnmowers can't, two scotters can't (minus pair) but one of each, (IMO) are cool.

mary

Just saw scooter blennies the other day, {an lfs}and yes, they did resemble dragonettes . Now I see they are. Loved the quick little movements they make.. Love to have one but have as much ground coral as I do sand and they need just sand don't they? Not that much info on them in the book I have . Oh dear, my mandarin wouldn't appreciate one I'll bet. Food competition also. Anyone have both together? I have a bi-color blenny also. I do not trust what many articles tell you about the safety of fishes anymore for ones aquaium. Often mis-information. Lfs's often encourage you to try it. Can't stand to lose a fish.