Help Time is Running Out

gmidd

My only surviving fish is on his last leg. Long story short
(if you want to read up on my situation follow this link https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/265915/brooklynella-treatment )
I believe my Clown has some sort of parasite. Even with Beth and sepulatian's help we've had a had time pinning down an exact disease making the treatment a shot in the dark.
I did a freshwater dip in a clear bowl, per a website, to determine if in fact its a parasite. After the dip the water did have white specs on the bottom which are parasites falling off the fish. Since doing the dip this morning the Clown does look better visually but seems to be weaking. His on the bottom swimming in place slightly tilted. I do have him in Hypo at 1.009. I want to do a Formalin 3 dip but I my only option was to order online but the site failed to deliver next day.
Is there anything I can do? If I'm killing off the parasites with dips and have him in Hypo why is his health still declining?
Heres a couple pics..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see the necessity of a formalin dip at all, and it could well be more harmful. If this is ich, and it seems it is, then you have to wait out the hypo. Do you have other fish that have been exposed?

gmidd

Saddly the're dead. Should I repeat Fresh Dips or just let him wait it out in hypo and hope he survives?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I just went thru your previous thread for recollection. As I thought, not brooklynella. Are you using a refractomenter?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How many days has the fish had spots, and how many days in hyposaliny?

gmidd

He's probably shown signs of being ill about 5 days and really went downhill about 2 days ago. I've had him in hypo 2 days.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is that a QT that you just set up? How is the circulation in that tank? FW dips are pretty stressful which is why I avoid them. If she has had spots for five full days, then the ich should cycle out to the next stage any time now. Obviously keep water conditions good. Maximize water circulation. If the fish is feeding, feed 3 small meals a day with 1 meal soaked in fresh garlic juices added to a meaty meal. The procedure for garlic is in the FAQ thread. Be sure the QT has hide spots, pH is maintained as well as stable hyposalinity and temp.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Please take some close up pics if you can. At any time did you see a powdery yellowish film on any of the fish?

wattsupdoc

Not trying to butt in, but help. I just read an article on velvet over at WWM by Mr. Fenner. Go there and see ....Amyloodiniumiasis.... I had a bout with this stuff in my FW aquarium years ago, it was white. Also he states marine velvet can be white also. I have to believe with that pic and the rapid death this would be my conclusion, but, I'm no expert either. This is though very similar looking to the velvet I had a bout with.

gmidd

The QT has been set up for 3 months. I added a PH so the return is about 20 to 25X. The Ph is about 7.8 to 8.0.
There was Yellowish film in the clear bowl after the Freshwater Dip. But I thought it might have been its orange skin, due to what looked like peeling. The last Dip was a bit hard on him. He did intially curl up but seemed to recover. He won't eat just stays in the corner like in the pic swimming in place. I will try to get closer pics but with my camera the ones posted are the best.
Like I said he visually looks better and seemed to get a little color back but not much. Physically he's hasn't got worse or better after the Dip.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Not trying to butt in, but help. I just read an article on velvet over at WWM by Mr. Fenner. Go there and see ....Amyloodiniumiasis.... .
And that is why I asked about any goldish powdery look to the fish in the post above. However, truth is, this fish would have been dead already if it was amyloodinium.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Use a magnifying glass and take a close look at her breathing and gills. Notice any swollen gills or heavy gilling?
Is there a lot of reflectiveness on the bottom of that aquarium?

gmidd

I just noticed these on my DT Glass. It looks like it came from my filter return since they are bunched up on the glass directly in front of the return. They look like the 3rd stage of the Marine Velvet (see the Illustration). All these blobs of specs are the size of a pin head.

gmidd

I don't notice any swelling or heavy gilling. I even did the flashlight test and it doesn't seem to be any velvet like patchs. The other 2 fish that died didn't have swollen or bleeding gills as I recall.

gmidd

Originally Posted by Beth
Those are snail eggs!
Nice.
LOL great more snails. I did see 5 new babies. Upon further viewing... they are everywhere! even all over my Mag-float

gmidd

"Affected individuals must be isolated and treated ASAP. General procedure calls for dipping/baths, possibly lowering specific gravity, and continuous exposure to 0.10-0.15 ppm copper. Antibiotic feeding is recommended to prevent secondary infection."
Thoughts on trying copper treatment? And I'll pick up some garlic and meaty foods tomorrow, though the Clown hasn't shown an interest in eating.
Thanks for all your help. Not to beat myself up, but I disappoint I rushed adding the Gramma that infected my DT when I did so well up to that point.

PS I couldn't get any better pics of the fish.

wattsupdoc

That quote is from Fenner right? Thats what he recommends, also the same procedure will take care of ick if it's only ick. But Beth stated that the clown would be dead from velvet allready, and I'm sure shes right. Unless the baths you've been giving have fought the velvet off some. If it's that. Or did the clown show symptoms just recently? either way Fenner I think recomends the formalins bath's, so did Beth I think in you're other thread. I believe in the fragging video with Anthony Calfo in it he also recomended formalin baths for treating several things. I do think though that the FW dips, while recommended by Fenner can be overdone and counterproductive. Again just my opinion and I certainly am not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. I just know your time is running out and I'm trying to be helpful.

gmidd

yeah the quote is from Fenner and recommended this for the three major parasites. The systoms really showed over the last few days, but showed signs of being lathargic and gulping air from the surface on Monday. I've yet to get the Formalin 3 so I can only do the garlic feeding tomorrow. I checked the Clown and hes not worsened or gotting better.
What about Copper treatment?