Help Time is Running Out

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Dips will take care of a heavily infested fish that is on its last leg and will likely die if something isn't done immediately, but you have to weigh the risks of performing a dip over not doing it and just following standard procedure. I'm saying that the dip likely contributed to shock in the fish.
Copper is equally as effective as hypo, and will take just as long for it start working. Neither hypo nor copper will work while the parasites are attached to the fish. The ich should be cycling out now at any moment. How is the water conditions in the tank?

gmidd

Nemo is looking alot better today. His color is returning and he's swimming around. I'm going to do a 20% water change, keeping the Sg at 1.009 and add a Ph buffer to get it back to 8.2 from 7.8. I think its under control.

Thanks for all your help.

gmidd

Upon a closer look he still is showning a few white specs. Will the Hypo knock those off or should I attempt another Freshwater Dip?

triga22

The hypo should knock them off. I have heard of people that raise it back to normal and they come back.

wattsupdoc

Be sure to buffer that SLOOOWLY, really I would, leave it alone for today. Dont alter the ph any more that 2 points in a 24 hr period. Myself if he's looking better, dont bother him. Those specks will be dropping off soon!
Is he eating?

gmidd

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Be sure to buffer that SLOOOWLY, really I would, leave it alone for today. Dont alter the ph any more that 2 points in a 24 hr period. Myself if he's looking better, dont bother him. Those specks will be dropping off soon!
Is he eating?
I did feed him some Mysri Shrimp (I know I'm spelling it wrong) soaked in garlic juice, since thats all I could find. He took a few pieces and spit it out and ate another few spec pieces. I turned off the PH, since it seemed to be a bit much like 25X return. The HOB filter is 15X and he seems to be swimming around more with just the filter.

gmidd

Originally Posted by TriGa22
The hypo should knock them off. I have heard of people that raise it back to normal and they come back.
I read to complete get rid of them to leave it in Hypo for 2 to 3 weeks and then to slowly raise it back over a 7 day period.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Gmidd
I read to complete get rid of them to leave it in Hypo for 2 to 3 weeks and then to slowly raise it back over a 7 day period.
No, after you have not seen one spot of ich on your fish you begin to count three weeks. Then you raise the SG over a week. So that is one week for the ich to drop off, then 3 more weeks of observation, then another week to raise the SG, a total time of 5 weeks. If you are performing hypo in a qt tank, leave the fish in there for one more week at normal SG. This allows your display to be fishless for a total of 6 weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stick with the hypo for the full course. 2 weeks after all spots are gone.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I typed 2 weeks, but its actually 3 weeks! 3 full weeks, after spots are gone.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
I typed 2 weeks, but its actually 3 weeks! 3 full weeks, after spots are gone.
LOL you had me wondering Beth!!

gmidd

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Hows Nemo?
Looks like the specs are coming back. He doesn't look as good as he did yesterday but is still active. I have the Sg at 1.009.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-5
Ph 8.0

iowafish

Hey Gmidd,

You don't mention what else might be in your QT besides the PH and HOT filter.... if you don't have any in there, you might try adding a couple lengths of PVC for Nemo to hide in and around. He might feel more secure and less stressed in his PVC than cramming himself into the corners of the tank. Hypo in a totally bare tank is stressful for even a healthy fish. So in theory, reducing stress can help speed recovery in one that's ill.
Just a thought, as I hadn't seen previously that there was anything in the QT for him to hide in/around.
Good luck... he's been showing signs of improvement, so he's a fighter!
KH

sepulatian

Looks like the specs are coming back. He doesn't look as good as he did yesterday but is still active. I have the Sg at 1.009.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-5
Ph 8.0
Did the SG raise above 1.009 at all? You have to monitor that very closely.

gmidd

I have a treasure chest like decor but he's out and about. The Sg is 1.009 and hasn't moved.
The spots are gone. He's eating. His back fin is up for the first time so it looks good. He will make it.

sepulatian

I have a treasure chest like decor but he's out and about. The Sg is 1.009 and hasn't moved.
The spots are gone. He's eating. His back fin is up for the first time so it looks good. He will make it.

I am happy to hear that. Keep us posted! Adding some PVC pieces will ease stress on him. He will be able to hide if he wants to.