Help Tiny white creatures!

cwolf88

Hello! I have recently restarted my tank after a move and have had several problems. First I had an outbreak of hair algea, which was diagnosed on here:) and I bought some turbo snails and they eating it ever so slowly. But now I have all of these tiny white creatures all over my tank. They are on the glass and are moving and are swimming in the water. I have no clue what they are, if they are bad and if so how to get rid of them. I have attached some pics and there is a pic of some orange things on the sand, of which there seems to be several and I have no clue what they are either. Thanks for your help!!
Carmen
PS Also if you know what they are do you know some possible ways that I may have gotten them?

E

eric b 125

looks like copepods to me. they're a good thing to have in the tank. your sand looks pretty dirty in that last shot, what kind of flow do you have?

cwolf88

Thank you for your help. I am relieved. And the dirty sand that is a algea out break im trying to control. I need to clean the sand again....I dont know why but this time restarting my tank is being difficult! Thanks again!

cwolf88

Hello! I was told I have copepods, which I agree with, but if I have a lot will it make my tank cloudy? If not then what would? Thanks!
Carmen

ebius

Cwolf, i have the exact same thing in my tank. Noticed little bugs on the side and all in the water. There were enough of them that the tank looked cloudy. I actually pulled out a microscope and verified that they were pods. I assume that they will not last very long tho

cwolf88

Yeah my tank was clear until I started to notice those tine copepods. Then within like a week my tank turned cloudy. I know they are good, but there are too many of them. Thank for your help!

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by Ebius
http:///forum/post/2986080
Cwolf, i have the exact same thing in my tank. Noticed little bugs on the side and all in the water. There were enough of them that the tank looked cloudy. I actually pulled out a microscope and verified that they were pods. I assume that they will not last very long tho

You have pods floating in your water column? I had an explosion of pods but had an algae bloom at the same time. Lots of pods but water was cloudy from algae.

ebius

Yeah, they are pods, not algae. Like I said, I grabbed a sample and looked at them under a scope. Definitely pods. I get at least 3-4 of them when i pull a water sample for testing. I was pretty shocked myself.

cwolf88

Thank you guys so much! Just cant wait for my tank to eventually clear up! Gonna buy a full cleaning crew in a couple of days!