Help to catch a large bristle worm

mscarpena

I have a large bristle worm in my tank that I came acrossed last week. I have been trying to ID it and just saw one on one of the posts. It was ID'd as a coral eating BW and 2 of my small clams were eaten recently. I think this guy is about 10-12" long and I have only seen him once. I am trying the good old pop bottle trap for now. After it is done eating it leave a smily gooky mess. Also I can see it's smile trail retreating to the rocks. It does not seem to be one area specific or I would just remove that rock. It seems like it moves around a lot. Any help would be great. Thanks.

berrya

Buy a bristleworm trap, they're about $15. I bought a Coralife Trap'em and it took about 1 week for it to catch my bristleworms.
The trap has a one-way in, no-way out function, so once the worm is by the food, there is no escape...it works well.

mscarpena

I saw those, but I think my worm is larger than the entire trap is. I will look at one and make it out of PVC piping. I think I can make one. Thanks.

naclfish

try an arrow crab or put a piece of silver side in a fishing line turn off flow or weigh it down and wait...... then see what rock he is in and give him a fw dip and kill at your leisure

mscarpena

Cool. Keep the ideas coming. I will try a bunch of different things until I catch it. I caught one smaller bright yellow one last night. I have been sick so I have not been staying up late. When I feel better I'll start staying up later and watching at night. This worm does not seem to stay at the front of the tank. It seems to hide in the back part of the tank. I can see it's slime trail and it's always at the back of the tank where I can not get to without ripping my whole tank apart. Crappy I know. Thanks.

naclfish

i know how that goes...it sucks ive had to rip down whole tanks more than once....while it is not alot of fun itll make you think before you add a questionable critter

michael1972

I traped my 8 inch one with a clean pair of panty hose and some raw shrimp in side he came out and got traped on it then i was able to pull him out slowly after he sat there all day pulling on it.
that is a cheep way and you can take out the shrimp later and rinse the hose for the next one.

mscarpena

Still have not caught it yet. Still have not even seen it again. Thanks for the pantyhose idea. I will be trying that in a few days. Do you prop them open a little bit or just let it find it's way in on it's own?