help!! Urgen electric shock

justin_ny

i just clean my tank
and i got electric shock from my tank
i have uv, 5 power head, and one pump eheim.
do u guys have any suggestion how to find it which one is leaking?

rickt4du

Drop the leads of a VOM (multitester) in the tank after you unplug all the equipment.Set the meter to AC volts and turn each item on one at a time. That should tell you what is leaking. Be careful. Have a good day.

bammbamm74

or, if you don't have a VOM, use your hand. :D
Hey, don't those pumps have a converter in them to change the voltage from ac to dc?

dad

Make sure your tank in either on a GFCI recepticle or breaker for your protection.
Having some voltage in your tank is quit normal(up to a sertain point). It's called stray voltage.
There have been alot of debates over it.
But if you have your tank on a GFCI, you and your tank will do fine, ;)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You must have a GFI on the outlet that you are using for your tank [or anything with water]. It is also best to use the GFI on all your tank equiptment. In addition to the GFI, you should also use a grounding probe.
This is just a matter of safety.

nacl-h2o

R Frog a surge suppressor protects your equipment not you, GFCI outlets protects you. You can get a GFCI outlet at Lowes or Home Depot, if your comfortable or knowlageable in wiring it yourself.

dad

A GFCI is a ground fault circuit interupter.
Most people have them in their bathrooms and kitchens.
The recepticle has a test button on it to make sure it works and a reset button.
You can get them about anyplace that sells plugs and switches. They cost about $10.
You can change your old plug outyourself very easly. Just make sure the power is turned off!
They also make a splitter that has a gfci built into it. It is very good because you can plug maney things into it. This way you do not have to change your existing plug out! I've seen them for around $20 in computer depts.

nacl-h2o

The best way to determine a voltage in a tank using a volt or multimeter is to put one lead in the tank and touch the other to someting grounded or better yet put it in the ground of an outlet (the third or lower hole in a receptical). Unplug everything and plug each device in one at a time and check your voltage until something sends it up. you will detect a voltage in the tank with nothing on, but it wont be much. Its usually a pump.

justin_ny

ok guys,
i was wondering if any of u guys know any warning device for the saltwater tank, if the tank has an elcetric shock.

dad

well Justin_NY,
I try not to answer questions that change the subject of the original thread, but this is the first time I have heard the question, ;)
The answer is yes they do. I have seen them used in other applications(not tanks though).
But please put them out of your mind!
Use a gfci and have peace of mind that you and everyone else will be safe. ;)

drkegel

GFCI's are a very good thing to have, but are not absolutely necessary. For many years, they didn't make them, and people kept aquariums. IF you have kids/other pets, you should put one in however as a safety.
You just have to be careful, install drip loops and never touch electrical contacts, or let water get near them.
Over the years, building codes have changed, which is why in newer homes you have them in your kitchen and bathroom. Old houses typically do not have them, unless they've been remodeled.
In lieu of a GFCI, you can buy, or make, a grounding probe. This is basically a wire with a piece of stainless steel (or some other non-corrisive metal) that sits in the tank and runs to an outlet. It "grounds" any stray voltage you may have so you don't get a shock and your aquarium life doesn't feel any shock.

justin_ny

dad,
thank you for your advice. i went to home depot today and got the gfci. my friends help me install the item. i already found the problem with my tank, it was my uv, the bulb crack.
thank you so much guys