Help w/modifying sump

briandg

Hi,
I've been posting some questions on the board about a 180 that I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. The tank is corner drilled. Before I set it up, I think I need to modify the sump. Right now it is just a 40 gal breeder tank. It is open (no baffles) just the sump, drain lines and return lines randomly set in it. It has bioballs floating in it. I'm thinking about taking out the bioballs and modifying it. Attached is the current picture of it and what I'm thinking about doing.
Also, I have purchased a CPR Hang on the Back Refugium that I'm incorporating in it. I realize that since I'm modifying it, I could have just added a fuge, but before studying on it, I wasn't going to make changes and wanted a simple fuge. I think it will still be a good addition as it will add additional water volume to my tank. Basically I will have a compartment for 1 drain line from the main tank feeds into that will include the skimmer. A second department for the sump that the second return from the display tank will feed into. The HOB fuge will be haning on the back of this compartment, then a compartment for the return. I thought about adding some live rock to the sump compartment. I will also have live sand and rock in the fuge. I haven't come up with measurments of each compartment yet and any suggestions on that as well as criticism of the design will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry I made a mistake on the picture the first item labeled sump should say skimmer, and the inline would feed into that.
Thanks

gatorwpb

What do you plan on having in the middle compartment? Why not have that be the fuge section?
I would think you could return the CPR HOB and use the 40 gal for the fuge.
I also would suggest having 3 baffles in between each section if you have the room.

saltn00b

you should consider using the three baffles in any instance where you might want a baffle so as to catch microbubbles from tank drain and skimmer drain.

briandg

I was just planning on using the middle section for heaters etc. I was going to put some live sand and rock in it, but no lighting, so it probably will grow pods too, I am going to light the hob fuge and add chaeto. I purchased the hob fuge used, so it's mine, but I like the idea of using it for increased volume. I was also going to use the middle section as an area where I could hook up my canister filter when I want to run carbon. This would also be the area where I would use my auto topoff. I will adjust my design for 3 baffles on each side of the middle section. Thanks for the suggestion. Does this setup make any sense after explaining it further?
Thanks

saltn00b

so are you going to have 2 fuge areas? the HOB and the sump? thats what i would do, the HOB will be relatively small, so it is good supplement to a good size one.
check out my multiphase upgrade thread for what i did with my sump.

briandg

Originally Posted by saltn00b
so are you going to have 2 fuge areas? the HOB and the sump? thats what i would do, the HOB will be relatively small, so it is good supplement to a good size one.
check out my multiphase upgrade thread for what i did with my sump.

Yes, I guess that's what I'm saying. Only the HOB will be lighted though, the only light on the other FUGE will be spillover from the HOB. I will check out you thread. Thanks, and I'll post a modified picture too, once I get it drawn.

briandg

Originally Posted by sign guy
why dont you use the middle as a sump with a light as well?
For right now, I'm probably on spending restriction by my wife :). I don't want to purchase anything else right now. Maybe in the future, but I need to do some other things first like upgrade the lighting in the canopy etc.

briandg

I have made a couple of modifications to 1. Make everything fit, and 2. Include baffles before the return to reduce bubbles. Baiscally, the HOB fuge will cover 2 sections, the intake on the HOB fuge will take water from the small fuge in the sump, but will drain in the compartment with the skimmer. I need to do this because of the size. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

sign guy

but wouldn't adding a hob fuge be more expensive, seeing as you already have a fuge desigend in the sump?

briandg

I already have one, so I figure it will add additional water volume and increase the size of the fuge. Should I not worry about adding an additional fuge in the sump, as this seems to be getting complicated for me.
Thanks

briandg

Ok, thanks. Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but I have no experience with sumps, should I modify it at all, or if I'm not integrating a fuge in it, can I just leave it as an open tank with the skimmer, heaters and return in it.