Help w/ understanding test results 40G

trunkster

I know the strips are supposed to be inaccurate but one LFS sold them to me so I'm going to use them all up, I'm testing the following:
Tank is 40 Gallons
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0.50
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Total Alkalinity: 180-240
PH: 7.8-8.0
The tank is 2.5 weeks old:
40 pounds of crushed coral (sand like)
10 pounds of live sand
30 pounds of live rock
3 Damsels
2 Emerald Crabs
10 Hermit Crabs
1 Camelback Shrimp
These test results were after a 5 gallon water change, any suggestions or comments, thanks.

reefforbrains

According to that test result you will be potentially losing livestock soon. Really puts you at ease that the 10 bucks for the test strips is not getting wasted.
Two weeks old with livestock already in it? I take it the damsels are the suicide squad? Your cycle hasnt even reached its zenith and the readings look dimsal.
Sorry if thats blunt but your really on a crash course with the current direction of:
#1 A local shop telling you rubish to sell you more livestock.
#2 Livestock being kept in thier own waste since system is not running yet, biologically.
#3 (no offence) you dont know what the numbers even represent.
Please dont take it as insult. Even though I may sound abrasive, a bit of reading before a purchase can go a very long way in this hobby. Just my oppinion, but you owe it to your livestock to treat them accordingly. At very least do some reading on how the biological system of saltwater tanks function before making any more moves.
-RFB

trunkster

So should I pull out all the livestock? What should my next move be, I no longer go to the LFS that sold me the strips, I'll pick up some other test kits tomorrow and do more tests with accurate equipment, no worries on your abrasiveness, I have thick skin, I'm from Northern CA to by the way. I'm looking for advice and am open to any and all suggestions, thanks.

reefforbrains

I could write a 20 page commentary but it wouldnt touch what you will pick up just by reading through the boards. If you search the "archive" section it has some very good info on beginning new tanks and basics without any personal spin.
The hobby has a vicious learning curve but its constantly evolving with new tech, science and equip that lets common practice evolve with it.
I am biased but this is a great board with good members. I hope you make a happy home and welcome home for yourself.
What part of NorCal? There are a few of us Westsiders on these boards and we need every inch to dillute out some of the Florida whackos...
(If from florida and reading this, that was a typo...if NOT from Florida? The you already know they are whackos)

trunkster

Went to my LFS and bought a new test kit that tests PH, Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia.
Tested some of my water at the store and PH was 7.8-7.9, Nitrites were 0 and Ammonia was 0.25.
I found out I had been leaving my light on to long so I bought a timer and will leave it on for 7 hours a day now.
Bought some PH Buffer and added 4 scoops today, I'll check with my new test kit tomorrow, thanks.

torture

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2586921
According to that test result you will be potentially losing livestock soon. Really puts you at ease that the 10 bucks for the test strips is not getting wasted.
Two weeks old with livestock already in it? I take it the damsels are the suicide squad? Your cycle hasnt even reached its zenith and the readings look dimsal.
Sorry if thats blunt but your really on a crash course with the current direction of:
#1 A local shop telling you rubish to sell you more livestock.
#2 Livestock being kept in thier own waste since system is not running yet, biologically.
#3 (no offence) you dont know what the numbers even represent.
Please dont take it as insult. Even though I may sound abrasive, a bit of reading before a purchase can go a very long way in this hobby. Just my oppinion, but you owe it to your livestock to treat them accordingly. At very least do some reading on how the biological system of saltwater tanks function before making any more moves.
-RFB
Seems odd to me that someone who takes fish out of the ocean and puts them in a small tank believes in 'treating' their 'livestock' well. Don't you think that if you really cared about their well-being you would leave them in the ocean? Just curious as you are all dooming these creatures to premature, unnatural lives.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by torture
http:///forum/post/2588573
Seems odd to me that someone who takes fish out of the ocean and puts them in a small tank believes in 'treating' their 'livestock' well. Don't you think that if you really cared about their well-being you would leave them in the ocean? Just curious as you are all dooming these creatures to premature, unnatural lives.
Not true. Some of these animals will live longer without having to search for food and no preditors to eat them. If you give them good care and try your best to give them what they will need they could be very happy.

trunkster

Update:
Water Temperature: 77.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
PH: 8.2
Specific Gravity: 1.023 (Will try to get this up to 1.025 after some evaporation)
Currently have 37 pounds of Live Rock, 9 small Hermits, 2 Emeralds, 3 Turbo Snails, 2 Damsels and one Camel Back Shrimp.

U

usirchchris

Just curious as you are all dooming these creatures to premature, unnatural lives.
Hmm what is this statement based on? What percentage of fish actually make it from juvenile to adulthood in the ocean? I am guessing this percentage is extremely low. As long as a fish is being well fed and not terrorized by its neighbors...does it really care where it is? I don't think they are all that cognizant of what is going on, and there is no possible way to confirm a particular fish died prematurely. Could be wrong...my three domesticated dogs might be aware of their ancestry and be quite angry with me as well...they usually come when I call them though
. Probably due to the food, and a non hostile environment. Wonder how much longer they would live if I let them loose
. Too much to think about, think I will go sit with my dogs and watch my fish.