Help! Water levels in sump inconsistent

neosoulman

Hoping someone here can give me some advice on this problem I cant seem to solve. Its driving me CRAZY!
Background:
I bought a used 80 gal bowfront tank from my LFS that they had up on consignment for a pretty good deal about 2 months ago. I'm not 100% sure of what brand all the equipment is but I have a skimmer, a wet/dry, PC lights and a 5 gallon sump (might be a little more than 5 gallons, not sure). In my tank there are two long vertical tubes, 1 is a return and one is a send from the sump under the tank (someone just told me this is an 'old' system that they dont make anymore???)
My problem:
At least a few times a day, the water leve in the sump will go start at the Max line, and then go down to the Min line. Sometimes the water level will even below the min line, thus choking my pump, and then after a minute or 2, it will rise back up to the Max line.
This is so frustrating because on more than one occasion I checked the sump level when it was at the Min line, added top off water, only to find that a few minutes later it started to rise and now my sump level is waay past the Max line.
Anyone experience this? How do I fix it? Bad pump? Old system? Is this throwing off my SG constantly?
Any advice appreciated.

dogstar

Could be you have some kind of durso style stand pipe for draining water back down to the sump. Would look like a 90 fitting faceind down or simular at the top of the pipe? If so this could just need adjusting the air flow if it has a way to adjust it.
Not sure what that description of your second pipe says.

neosoulman

yeah ive adjusted that pipe in the return tube plenty - it got rid of the 'toilet' sound that i had when i first set it up. now my main prob is that the water levels are constantly in flux.