Help! WHAT HAPPENING TO MY KENYA TREE

crf230

I've Had A Kenya Tree For About 2 Weeks And It Has Not Opened For The Last 2 Days Now. I Have A 29 Gallon Aquarium With 130 Watts Power Compact Lighting And A Wet Dry Filter. For Live Stock I Have 2 Clowns And A Angle Fish. I All So Have A Bunch Of Different Mushrooms, Star Polyps, And A Flame Scallop That Are Doing Great. I'm Giving The Kenya Tree Plenty Of Water Movement And I Have Him Placed Hight In My Aquarium. I Feed Everthing About Times A Week. What Am I Doing Wrong. Please Help!!!

bonebrake

What is your water quality like?
Temp.:
Salinity:
pH:
Alkalinity:
Ammonia:
Nitrate:
Phosphate:
Calcium:
:notsure:

crf230

Temp: 80
Salinity: 1.023
pH: 8.4
Alkalinity: Don't have the testing supplies.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: Don't have the testing supplies.
Calcium: Don't have the testing supplies.

bonebrake

Alkalinity, Calcium, and Phosphorus are very important concentrations to know and monitor in a reef aquarium. The Salifert brand sold on this website is very accurate and one of the best made.
Purchase these tests and start keeping track.
How do your other corals look?
Has anything happened that would traumatize the Kenya tree? Was it knocked over, ripped, or injured or irritated in any way?
:notsure:

crf230

My other corals look great. Nothing has happened that would hurt the kenya tree. Thanks for the help.

fbm

Maybe move it to a lower flow area, mine grows better in a lower flow in my tank.

crf230

No is not slimey. 1 of the 2 kenya trees is half open now. Is it normal for a kenya tree to close of for a day or two?

teresaq

mine does, then it drops branches, and new babies start growing everywhere, then mother coral gets better and bigger.

hot883

Originally Posted by shogun323
I would watch to see if your Angel nipping at it.
Thats what i was going to say. Mine is in a high flow area, near the top of the tank directly under 260w of PC's.
I have had mine stay closed for a day or two.
I keep my S.G. 1.026 to me yours is slightly low. Just my opinions. Barry

J

jupoc911

mine closes for a day or two when it drops babies or sheds of slime. Perfectly normal for this type of coral.

jessecnc

Have you tried feeding it. Kenya Tree corals need food in addition to light as they do not rely entirely on photosynthesis. I had mine under plenty of light and it just kept wilting away until I started feeding the tank with DT's, Marine Snow, and things of the like. It came back strong and everything else in the tank looks better too.
Search for info, books, and papers by Eric Borneman. He researches coral towards a PhD and insists every tank should be "fed" with more than light to not only survive, but thrive.