Help! What killed my shrimp?

sandi

I woke up this morning and my favorite little buddie (my cleaner shrimp) was dead. I have a 75 gallon coral tank with 2 clown fish, 2 purple firefish, a blue tang, a scooter blennie. The day before yesterday I added a coral banded shrimp. The fish store said that the coral banded shrimp was peaceful and should be fine with the cleaner shrimp but the cleaner is now dead. Has anyone ever had this happen before. I need to know why my cleaner shrimp is dead. If it is the coral banded shrimp, I think I will put him in the 100 gallon tank with my puffer and trigger and see how he feels. Another thing, I have a rose anemone and every time I would feed the anemone, that little cleaner shrimp would jump in the anemone and get the food - crazy little guy. Anyway, I need some thoughts on this one. What got him - did he get killed by the coral banded shrimp or was he stung by the anemone? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tx reef

Are you sure that it didn't just molt?
If it is in fact dead, I woudn't blame either of them. My Cleaner Shrimp used to do the same thing. I had a Coral Banded Shrimp with the Cleaner Shrimp for 6 months with no problems.

sandi

Yes, I am quite sure he didn't molt. At first glance that is what I thought too - but a closer inspection proved otherwise. The little guy is dead. Well, I guess I will buy another one and try again because I just love the cleaner shrimp. He will be sorely missed.

rkmcinvale

I had a blue regal tang that ate my cleaner shrimp. First she started with the antenne then one day she just ate the shrimp. Since we traded her in (because she was also tearing up everything else in the tank), my fire shrimp now comes out and tries to socialize with us and the other fish.