Help! What should I do

lt34

My 90 gallon fish tank is being delivered tomorrow and I had ordered my live rock from this site. I asked for a delivery of June 23 (tomorrow) and checking the FED EX tracking site stated delivery at 7:00PM on the 23rd. We came home today and there is the package of live rock sitting at my front door for 4 hours. Luckly in the shade, but what do I do with the live rock? I don't have any power heads or anything since that all comes tomorrow. Is it all going to die off? Its suppose to be cured. I can place it in a cooler (only thing I have big enough for 45 pounds of rock and I have Instant Ocean Salt I can put in with the water. Any help will be appreciated. I will send an e-mail to the site and let them know about the delivery mess-up. Its not their fault, its FedEx. :help:

omgsaltwat

I would put it in the cooler and with salt water (RO) and if you don't have a ph you can get one from wal-mart for like $15...I even without it I think I would still put it in the saltwater...JMO

lt34

Thanks, I will do that and hopefully I won't have much die off. I will run out and get the PH test kit and hopefully mix the saltwater right.

reefdude37

I think he means Power Head=PH
I would get a big bucket/cooler, whatever you can, put the liverock in it, fill it up with water so all the liverock is under water. I would get salt and add enough until the salt level is around 1.023-1.025. You can test this with a hyrdometer from a local pet shop. I would get a powerhead, or 2 and place it in the bucket with the liverock.
Hopes this helps,
Ben

ophiura

Regardless of whether it is cured, it will need to be recured. Any rock out of water for more than an hour (being generous even) will have die off and will need to be recured. Precuring often means that really big gooey things like sponges and such are removed. But there will always be die off.
As others recommend, I would get a new tupperware container or garbage can, mix new saltwater with a power head and heater, and put the stuff in there. Once your tank is here, you can put everything in it and you should get a nice cycle.

saltn00b

you will likely need a large garbage can for mixing water anyway for filling your tank, doing water changes etc etc
i have also heard and participated in adding some kalkwasser or calcium to the rock as it cures. i believe it will promote corraline algae growth

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by ReefDude37
I think he means Power Head=PH
I would get a big bucket/cooler, whatever you can, put the liverock in it, fill it up with water so all the liverock is under water. I would get salt and add enough until the salt level is around 1.023-1.025. You can test this with a hyrdometer from a local pet shop. I would get a powerhead, or 2 and place it in the bucket with the liverock.
Hopes this helps,
Ben
If you fill it with fresh water first I "think" it would kill every thing on/in the rock..Wouldn't you mix the salt first????

hagfish

Since this was going into a brand new tank anyway you were going to get considerable die off from the cycle. So I wouldn't worry too much about this.

lt34

I'm putting in 100 pounds of live sand in the tank, since everyone agreed I will have die off from the live rock, will the live sand help the live rock come back growing good again?

maxalmon

No matter what, the LR will come back over a period of time. It's going to cause a spike in your water levels. This is a good reason to always have 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets sitting around that are dedicated to your tank (mine have DO NOT USE, FISH TANK ONLY written on them) I would scrub the LR with a good plastic brush to remove any surface death and then you'll be fine. Don't leave the LR out of water, no matter what, have it submerged in SW.