Help, what should I get for base rock?

mmync

Ok everyone here is my problem. I am in the middle of cycling my 180 gallon tank. I have been buying live rock for it. So far I have about 70Lbs of it and they are all fully cured. My problem is that finally today I decided to start stacking the rock and realized that almost every piece I have are accent pieces. So, now I have to go get a bunch of pieces to use for the base. What would you guys recommend me to get for base rock. I am way over my budget and cant really even afford to buy anything but I have too. Basically what I have gathered is that I can use uncured since my tank is cycling and I alread have alot of live rock and sand. But are there certain kinds of uncured rock that I should look for or stay away from. Also, what shape would be the best for base rock. And when you go to buy uncured is it common for this rock to be sitting on the shelf or is uncured usually in water also? Thanks everyone, hopefully i get some fast replies so I can buy them tomorrow.:)

just to put a bug in your ear....I've known some "tight bugeted" people to use the dry Lace Rock for a base. It looks just like dry live rock, weighs less, is cheaper per pound, and looks just like live rock after the coralline takes over. Just a cheap suggestion...
HTH

slick

My "accent" and by that I mean the biggest most shapely pieces are on the bottom of my rock work. Do you mean your accent pieces are to small to be on bottom?

mmync

Moatly what I mean by "accent rocks" is that they arent reall that big but mostly I call them accent because they really look neat and seam like they should all be on the top surfaces of the reef. My tankis 180 gallons, 26 " tall x 67" long x 24" deep. about how big in sidze should the base rocks be. Also What kind of uncured rock should i get or stay away from. For example toga, lace, lava. Do you recommend these or some others?

T

thomas712

mmync - didn't I send you a link about baserock and how to get it cheap?
Thomas

jarvis

Im kinda in the same boat you are. I agree with thomas about qaulity of rock. I can wait for the algae to spread. It takes bacteria in a short time. For the price you cant beat it. Its easy to build with. It will look very natral when complete. It gives me more money to buy live rock from diffrent areas. However, I am just starting this too so I haven't experienced it yet. The way I looked at it...... I got a box of it. If I didn't like the look I would just throw it in the sump.

reefdweler

Originally Posted by Thomas712
mmync - didn't I send you a link about baserock and how to get it cheap?
Thomas

Can you sendme that link for the base rock too?

T

thomas712

Wow, almost a 3 year old post come to haunt me. I was just a newb on this site then.
Sorry, but I can not post links on this site, my suggestion would be to go to that famous auction site and type in the words base rock, or HI rocks and see what you come up with.
Or do some more searches on base rock on this board.
The link I had was a long time ago, and I have a new computer, lost alot of that stuff from in my favorites.
Thomas