Help!! What's going on??

lbannie

The other day my red serpent star lost an arm. Now this morning I find my other star like this!!

There are 3 chunks taken out of him!! He's still alive but I don't think he'll make it.
Could this all be from my terror fuzzy dwarf lionfish?? What else would do this?

flower

Hi,
I don't know a single thing about lion fish. However starfish are very sensitive to changes and high nitrates. What are your water parameters. temp and SG? Star fish loose limbs and they break down and their guts come out when they are dying

gemmy

I am beginning to think the fuzzy dwarf is the culprit. 2 stars with similar symptoms.

A

abeandlulu

I agree. Starfish will also start to deteriorate with lack of food.

S

saxman

Flower is right...your lionfish did not do this...seriously. They won't even LOOK at sea stars...in fact, snails and hermits are also safe from lionfish.
You have sandsifting stars there, and unless you have a very large, well-established sandbed, they will starve (they also deplete your sandbed of beneficial fauna as this is what they eat). Stars are also very sensitive to water quality, particularly nitrates, and will deteriorate due to bad water quality, copper treatments, etc.
If it's not lack of food or water quality, I'd be looking for a hidden hitchhiker that is doing this.
How long have you had the stars?