Help! Whats the best skimmer for under $100

romeofoeve

I have a $100 budget and wanted to know whats the best hang-on skimmer. Im considering the seaclone 100. any help would be appreciated.

nm reef

In my opinion there is no "best" skimmer for less than $100.
If you tossed in a few more bucks you could get a CPR pac bac 2r that would be far better than a seaclone.

jobob

if ur goin to get a seaclone get the jebo 180 its the same thing just cheaper. its only like 40 bucks. look on

[hr]
for used ones? u mite fine a aqua c remora, i hear they're the best HOB skimmer.

blazehok68

i have the seaclone 100. i t does the job the only thing i noticed is for it to work properly and in top condition it has to be taken apart every 2-3 weeks to be thouroughly cleaned. when i first got it i didnt clean it for about 3 months and i noticed that the performance was terrible at the end of the third month. i guess with any equipment maintenance is key for optimal performance. i just noticed that this particular skimmer has to be maintained more than others.

gmusick

Actually, the seaclone works great if you do the modifications on it that are scattered all over the web. Those modifications, in a nutshell, are as follows:
- Replace the air valve that comes with the Seaclone with a $2 airvalve from your LFS.
- Cut about 1/2" off the inlet pipe inside the collection cup, sand off any jagged edges
- Cut the inlet pipe inside the main chamber in half, sand off any jagged edges.
I get lots and lots of brownish black foam now. It works great. Make sure, if you get a seaclone, that it comes with the maxijet 1200 and not the smaller PH.

jlem

My buddy has a BERLIN AIRLIFT skimmer and that thing kicks out some gunk. It is an internal skimmer though but boy does it work good.

gfk

i got a bak2 with preskimmer for 95 bucks shipped from this guy on ----.
he is out of northern california. i never could win his auctions and so i just emailed him and asked if he'd send me one for 95 shipped and he agreed. might try that. he usually has one for sale at a time, i think he is some kind of rep for cpr cause his email address was @cprusa.com
good deal imo

A

andretti

If I were you, I'd save up about $40 more and buy a bac pak or an aqua c remora. Trust me, it's worth the extra$$$. In this hobby, cutting corners and trying to save 20 bucks here or there will only cost you $100 later. :thinking:

avbryce1

S;f@)i] In this hobby, cutting corners and trying to save 20 bucks here or there will only cost you $100 later. :thinking:
thats some good advice

kicked off

you should really save your money and invest into a quality skimmer.
get a big skimmer to hopefully upgrade to a larger tank one day :joy:

romeofoeve

30 Gal. Eclipse 3. i dont mind making minor mods to fit a seaclone or something, but i think a bak-pak or prizm would be too much of a task.

druid1547

Check the classified There was a person from NY that was selling one for around $85.00. It was around a month ago let me see who it was and I post it here for you to contact.

druid1547

I found the source here is what was on the first posting: F/S: CPR Bak-Pak 2 protein skimmer w/ Biobale & Rio 800 pump (NYC)
Person posting ID is DevIoS - was posted on 4/28. Might still have it. Good Luck
Mike

chrismunn

i wouldnt recommend buying a skimmer for under $100.00, and think its good......but i guess it depends on what size tank you have? i would go with a seaclone

wax32

I started with that 29 gallon eclipse 3 system you have. I can tell you... I ended up ditching the hood entirely and building my own wooden canopy and installing VHO lighting. I use the AquaC Remora HoB and I love it.

rzbud99

I have both seaclone and remora - they both work, but the remora does work much better. And the maintenance on the seaclone is more work - but for less than $100 what do you expect.
~Rosie~