Help! Whats the best skimmer for under $100

B

billb

I started with that 29 gallon eclipse 3 system you have. I can tell you... I ended up ditching the hood entirely and building my own wooden canopy and installing VHO lighting.
I did the same thing. I installed some PC lighting (4 x 65) in my wooden top.
Before I built the wooden top I did tear apart about half of the eclipse top and used a slightly modified prizm skimmer with pretty good results. It's a low end skimmer, but on a 29 it will work well. A seaclone will do the trick too. The new ones have the mods already done to them. I probably wouldn't suggest one on a larger tank, but lets face it, the theory is simple, water, bubbles and a column to rise in, and for a small tank it will fit ok.
The unfortunate thing about the eclipse tanks are that they aren't really built for a decent saltwater tank and you will end up doing mods to make it work. It's a learning process but by the time you decide to say the heck with it and get a bigger tank, sump/refuge or pump system, new lighting and a decent skimmer you'll be quite a bit smarter in the process than quite a few folks.
good luck
B.