HELP! White spots NOT ICH on purple tang w/ LOTS of PIC

lagatbezan

HI,
I have a purple tang that I adopted from a friend with a bad case of HLLE. I have had him in a QT for the last month and he has been eating great and the HLLE has gotten a lot beter. But 2 weeks ago he started showing these white spots over its body. Thinking its Ich I started Hypo which I have had done before on other fish successfuly. 2 weeks in hypo (1.009 measured with refract) and no change. I know its not ich since i have seen ich before and these spots look much bigger. So I did formalin bath 3 times also with no success! (did it once and 2 days later again and 3 days later for the 3rd time).
the white stuff at first look like they are on the skin and can be picked off, and after a couple of days they are in the skin like the purple color has "chipped off" and a white spot with a hole in the middle is visible. I have attached pics. Most are from when the fish is in the formalin bath for the 3rd time after 30 min. What am i dealing with? :mad:

chipmunk

I would start feeding this fish some garlic on its food ASAP. Garlic will build the fishes imune system and hel fight off this sickness.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Head and Lateral Line Erosion he definately has. The dot-like spots are unusal for HLLE, however, but I won't rule it out just yet. Please describe these and provide background info.
Where is that fish at in those pictures? It looks like an emply container!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So what you pick off are parasites, like flatworms, or something, and that leaves a splotch which we are seeing in the pics?
Where is that fish in the bottom pics?

lagatbezan

Hi beth, thanks for the reply. the last pic is of the fish during the formalin bath 30 min into the bath.
I don't know what the spots are? if its where a parasite used to be or still is. what ever it is, its not going away. I have no idea what I'm dealing with or what I should do.
Also the tang has a pinched stomach and swollen stomach on both sides. I have treated it with maracyn-2 at double the dose for 7 days with no change and now am treating with regular maracyn (3rd day). I think he might have some internal paracites.
What do you recommend I do?
the fish eats like a pig.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying that you can remove those spotss? As if they were a parasite attached?
What are you feeding him? Is that a well-established QT?

lagatbezan

well, some of the spots before the dip looked like they could be picked off the fish. but most of the spots on him is as if there is a "chip" on the fish's body where the purple color is white now. i can't tell if its under the skin or on it.
The qt is set up using my 25% tank water and the rest new water.
I feed him a lot of greens like sea weed atleast 4x a week with formula two frozen veggie cubes (which have garlic added), pellets and sometimes brine shrimp (maybe once every twoo weeks). I feed him twice a day.