Help wiring MH

brotox

Hi, I just got a used 100w mh set up, but nothing is wired together. I have a ballast, capacitor, ignitor, and the reflector with the base attached. I have no idea how to wire it all together. Also what do I use for cord to plug it in and on/off switch? Thanks for any help.

brotox

Anyone? It is for M90 lamp. It has input wires for 120/208/240/277. I am using the 120, do I just cap the other 3 off? There was a diagram on the ballast, but its worn off.

oceana

Originally Posted by Brotox
Anyone? It is for M90 lamp. It has input wires for 120/208/240/277. I am using the 120, do I just cap the other 3 off? There was a diagram on the ballast, but its worn off.
is that a sola ballast?
as for wires you should have the following
use the 120. cap/cut the others
there will be two lamp cords
three com ground cords
for you plug you need to go buy a few feet of wire and a plug for the end. or if your feeling cheap simply cut the plug end off an old extention cord.
and last you have the two cords coming from the lamp socket
wire the white from the plug.
the white from the lamp and the other three white from the ballast all together
then wire the black from the lamp to the two lamp cords coming from the ballast
then wire the black from the plug to the 120 from the ballast.
then fire it up. if this is not a sola ballast it may be a bit different but over all most multi tap ballast are the same.
the on off switch you can wire a simple in line break switch or what most people do is they use the timer as the on off switch.
with all that said if you know nothing about wiring or electric. i would advise heading down to a local shop and asking a pro whom will likley wire it up for you for in a quick snap for a few bucks and six pack

scsinet

There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast core that shows you how to hook everything up.

oceana

Originally Posted by SCSInet
There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast core that shows you how to hook everything up.
if you read the WHOLE post you will see that the grid has worn off

acrylic51

Originally Posted by oceana
is that a sola ballast?
as for wires you should have the following
use the 120. cap/cut the others
there will be two lamp cords
three com ground cords
for you plug you need to go buy a few feet of wire and a plug for the end. or if your feeling cheap simply cut the plug end off an old extention cord.
and last you have the two cords coming from the lamp socket
wire the white from the plug.
the white from the lamp and the other three white from the ballast all together
then wire the black from the lamp to the two lamp cords coming from the ballast
then wire the black from the plug to the 120 from the ballast.
then fire it up. if this is not a sola ballast it may be a bit different but over all most multi tap ballast are the same.
the on off switch you can wire a simple in line break switch or what most people do is they use the timer as the on off switch.
with all that said if you know nothing about wiring or electric. i would advise heading down to a local shop and asking a pro whom will likley wire it up for you for in a quick snap for a few bucks and six pack
The only thing missing from your instructions is that the socket needs to be grounded.

brotox

From the small coil on the ballast is 3 wires: lamp, tap, and 120v. From the larger coil is 2 com wires, a cap wire, and the other 3 volt wires I wont be using. The capacitor doesn't have any wires, it has 2 nodes to hook wires to it. The ignitor has a red lamp wire, blue tap, and white com. The lamp socket has the blue and white wires from it. I found a diagram on the internet, but its pretty hard to follow. Btw thanks for all the help so far.

moneyman

HELLO,
a famous website that sells LIGHTS(.COM) might has diagram you need. this website has pictures of their diy ballast with semi-legible diagram.

wattsupdoc

I believe whith what you have there...... ***)
The capacitor goes between the cap wire and one of the 2 commons coming out of the ballast together.
The ignitor goes like this.
Tap wire from xfmr to tap wire from ignitor.
Lamp wire on xfmr to ignitor lamp wire AND Socket blue wire.
Tie all commons together except the one going to cap. Also tie these to one wire from you're cord. The neutral one.
Tie 120v on both XFMR sides together and connect to the hot wire on cord.
XFMR PRIME/ XFMR SEC/ IGNITOR/ SOCKET/ CAP
120v. / 120.v /
common / /common / common/
common / /terminal
cap / /terminal
/Tap /Tap
/Lamp /Lamp / Lamp /
Cap off unused leads!(277, 480, ect.)
Tie 120v leads to you're hot wire coming from you're cord.
Tie you're commons (except the one on cap) to the neutral on you're cord.
Are you using a cord you cut from somewhere? If so use the one with the larger prong top go to the commons. The other is you're hot.
Using a cord you made with a cord cap? Connect the ribbed wire on the cord (or white whichever you have) to the silver screw in the cord cap(common). The smooth one goes to the copper one(hot). You should be using a 3 wire cord for this in order to ground the Ballast. Use the green or bare for the ground and connect it to the casing of the ballast. Be sure it makes a good connection.

http://www.venturelighting.com/VLPS/...H/V90D5932.pdf
Hope this helps let me know if it does.