help with a dissaster

fishswim

I have a water spout behind my aquarium that I used to use to fill up evaporated water. Well, today my brother turned it on, and my tank over flowed for a couple hours. My sg was 1.010. All the fish were looking really crappy. I freaked out and started putting salt directly in the aquarium. I don't know what else to do. I am so worried right now. I know i shouldn't have added the salt like I did. I just need a little advice.

jimi

What is your specific gravity now? Raise it slow with water changes over a couple of days. The sudden drop in salinity and probably ph was most likely shocking enough. Dont raise it too fast.

matt dowdney

DO NOT POOR DIRECTLY. Mix the salt in a bucket or big bowl first. If the salt has direct contact with the fish, it can burn them. Let alone the shock this fish can go in from all the rises and falls through out your tank. Make sure you poor disolved salt into your tank never directly. Also you'll never had a an even salinity if there's salt in your substraight. It will slowly release over time and you'll have to check it almost daily. Be careful and rash/harsh decisions to fix a problem can just make it worse. Rememeber there's lives at stake, not yours.