Help With A Stocklist...

My buddy has been worrying me to death about helping him setup an aggressive tank. Well he called last night and told me he bought a 65G Tall setup with all the goodies. Now he's asking me for advice on a stocklist and while I have pretty good idea what works and what doesn't I still want some ideas from you guys...
The only fish he is SET on getting is a lionfish. We already know the volitans are too big so I told him I thought a fuzzy dwarf would be a good choice. Other than that lionfish, which will be added LAST, everything else is up in the air. Maybe a lunar wrasse and a medium sized angel or a grouper of some sort? I'm all ears!

kjr_trig

Lunare Wrasse would not be a good choice as they will very quickly outgrow a 65, as would any Grouper....I agree some sort of Dwarf Angel would be a good addition, perhaps a Maroon Clown and some sort of small puffer (say Hawaiian Blue or even Valentini) is how I would go.

Thanks for the reply. So would those 4 fish pretty much be all the tank can handle? I would think so but just double checking.

srfisher17

The lion wouldn't have to be added last; they are not aggressive or territorial fish, most of the time. They seldom will bother anything they can't swallow whole. I wouldn't put in any fish that aren't at least 2/3 the size of the lion. If you go with a flame angel or a maroon clown (both good choices, IMO); I'd put that fish in last, both are much more likely to be bossy & territorial than the lion. A FD lion can reach 7" or so and they grow incredibly fast; so don't put in any very small specimens of other fish, thinking their growth will keep up with the lion and they'll stay safe.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by It's Chuck
http:///forum/post/2961625
fuzzy dwarf, bluefin pygmy angelfish, indigo hamlet, flame hawk
Great list. Slight change. This is pending he's willing to commit to larger then typical for 65gal filtration and more then normal water changes.
Fuzzy dwarf, Indigo hamlet, Bicolor Angel, flame hawk, and Comet (Marine Betta).

it's chuck

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2961762
Great list. Slight change. This is pending he's willing to commit to larger then typical for 65gal filtration and more then normal water changes.
Fuzzy dwarf, Indigo hamlet, Bicolor Angel, flame hawk, and Comet (Marine Betta).
Bicolor tends to be hard to keep but is a gorgeous fish. This is pretty much what I am going to be doing with my 55 soon only it will also have softies in it

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2961752
The lion wouldn't have to be added last; they are not aggressive or territorial fish, most of the time. They seldom will bother anything they can't swallow whole. I wouldn't put in any fish that aren't at least 2/3 the size of the lion. If you go with a flame angel or a maroon clown (both good choices, IMO); I'd put that fish in last, both are much more likely to be bossy & territorial than the lion. A FD lion can reach 7" or so and they grow incredibly fast; so don't put in any very small specimens of other fish, thinking their growth will keep up with the lion and they'll stay safe.
Yeah I knew about the growth deal and the sizes, but thanks for reminding me. I learned about all that stuff the hard way back when I bought a panther grouper.

Originally Posted by AquaKnight

http:///forum/post/2961762
This would also work. He bought a Marineland emperor 400 HOB filter which I think is rated for 75-90G and 2 koralia 3's. I am going to put about 75-100 pounds of my LR in his tank and stepping up the water changes should not be a problem at all. I did tell him I would get him a skimmer though, b/c I think it would surely help. I love my 2 HOB skimmers.

I appreciate all your responses. I am just going to take him a list and let him pick which ones he wants and of course add them slowly.