Help with acclimating

legoalie31

I just received a shipment and everything looks great except the flame scallop. The water in the bag is red, and stinks, and is in pieces and the scallop doesn't seem to be moving. I'd hate to acclimate and put it in the tank if it's already dead. Does anyone know if the water would turn red if the scallop is still alive?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Legoalie31
I just received a shipment and everything looks great except the flame scallop. The water in the bag is red and the scallop doesn't seem to be moving. Id hate to acclimate and put it in the tank if it's already dead. Dpes anyone know if the water would turn red if the scallop is still alive?
There should be no reason for your water to be red. I would test the water perameters of the bag contents. Also your flame scallop is not a timid invert, he should show signs of life. Even if you take him out and gently try to open his shell he should show resistence, or just picking him up he should move like jump. If not he is a gonner or at best sick. Hope that helps.

legoalie31

I just received a shipment and everything looks great except the flame scallop. The water in the bag is red, and stinks, and is in pieces and the scallop doesn't seem to be moving. I'd hate to acclimate and put it in the tank if it's already dead. Does anyone know if the water would turn red if the scallop is still alive?

aztec reef

so it is dead? i would put it in a little bit of water from your display tank(in a bowl) just put it in for a few minutes to see if you see any signs of life..or if will turn that water red .