help with an aquarium "to be"

huntin4stiles

I am totally new and havent bought anything! i want to know what i need for mabye a pair of false percula clowns and something else smallish.

huntin4stiles

im not really sure. all i know is i want a pair of clown is a reasonable sized tank with mabye a crab and some other fish mabye im not sure all i have kept is freshwater

luvmyreef

Well, those nano's have everything you need to start, for ex: built in lights. If you dont want one of those...Might I suggest something bigger? go with a 55 or 75, although the cost will be much much more due to all the equip, rock, etc.

huntin4stiles

yah haha im 15. so im kinda tight on cash and figure a 29 would be the biggest i could afford with LR and LS and thing of that nature. you would suggest the 29 gallon biocube?

luvmyreef

Sadly, I am not a nano reefer..
. But there are plenty of them on here....

SO....calling all nano owners...can you help this guy out???

Even nano tanks are quite expensive. I own a JBJ nano 24 and have spent several hundred dollars. If you're going to go with a biocube or a nano cube it has most of the stuff you need. In addition you will need live sand and live rock. Of course there are always extra costs like buying saltwater or mixing your own, fish food, tubing for water changes, acclimation buckets, fish nets, heater, thermometer....

gio28

im 15 too and i wished i would have just looked on c-list before i bought my tank...i could have got something alot bigger and cheaper...

anyways...you can find real good deals on there...and the money you save will help you buy other stuff that dosent come with the tank you may find.
are you thinking reef or fish-only? and what size do you want? bigger is better...not just for maintenance but also fish choice. its exciting getting started

snakeblitz33

I can vouch for an Oceanic 29. It's big enough for a couple of clowns and another small fish. It's also kind of customizeable. In this hobby, nothing is cheap and it is all very addictive - so, research, research, research. 30lbs of live rock could easily cost you over $200.
30lbs rock
30lbs plain aragonite
29g Oceanic Biocube
=
great start.

stdreb27

Not to discourage you, but unless you've got some sort of income, parents or otherwise. You really need to think about this. I have a 58 gallon, and I can spend several hundred dollars a month if I'm not careful. And I don't have that great of a tank...

gio28

i have a 36 and have easily spent over $1000 on it by now. i dont have any corals yet and only 1 fish. but the good news is thats all i need now...but man does this drain money from you...luckily my parents have helped me out ALOT.

huntin4stiles

thanks guys well my parents are gonna help me alot because this is for the front entryway and they want it to work and be rigt. but im leaning toward reef but idk since im just a beginner at SW

gio28

start fish only and then go reef later so you feel more experienced. just make sure everything you add is reef safe in the end. im 6 months into my tank and im gonna be doing corals soon.
dude you are so lucky your parents want to put the tank in the entryway lol...mine think my tank looks ugly...but that will change when i get corals and cool fish in there

huntin4stiles

haha yah i just love to show off my tanks and ive now heard that bigger is better? is that true cuz i dont want something that costst WAY too much money i know its an expensive hobby but yah...

gio28

bigger is way better IMO. you can have larger fish like tangs and anthias schools and you can go all out. but the LR will cost you...so will larger equipment and supplies...but after that its worth it. i wish i went bigger.
to give you an idea...i spent $1000 on a 36 gallon that has just about everything minus those expensive fish and corals.

jackri

I would really suggest at least a quality RO water system and if you go reef RO/DI. Beginning with filtered water over treated tap water will save you major headaches in the future.
Unfortunately in this hobby the more money you spend on quality components the more it saves you in the long run.