Help with base rock??

tlsohio

I have purchased what I'm going to call base rock from a one year old tear down and it has been dry since. My question is.....what do I need to do to this rock to prepare it for my DT. It seems to have some dry material coming off of it, should I give it a good scrubbing? Boil it? Not sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

posiden

Me, I would scrub it and cook it. But not the way you think. Place it in a container with a power head and a heater. No light. Do water changes in there when you do them in the display tank. Use the display water for the replacement water in the rock container. Keep it here until it reads all 0's on the test kits. Use good ones that can get down real low.This will take a while but when it is done it will be squeaky clean.
This way you wont import any problems. I know the rock is dry but as you say it is flaking stuff off.

spanko

Agree with Posiden only add that the water it is "cooking" in should be tested just like a tank would for cycle. When ammonia and nitrite reach zero rock is good to go. Also if you have an extra hob filter and or skimmer use that too.

posiden

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2985449
Agree with Posiden only add that the water it is "cooking" in should be tested just like a tank would for cycle. When ammonia and nitrite reach zero rock is good to go. Also if you have an extra hob filter and or skimmer use that too.

Yes,

tlsohio

Thanks a bunch!! My tank is established with livestock and I absolutely do not want to endanger it!! I knew I could count on you guys to steer me in the right direction. Thanks again!!

naclh2o nut

How much are you purchasing and how much is in your tank already? It could be a small amount that would not require the "cooking". Of cours better safe then sorry won't go wrong.
I have added about 40 lbs. to my system after cycle but it was in about 5 lbs increments with 130 lbs already in.
Never seen ammonia but did see trites at 5 one day.

tlsohio

I just have 10lbs of the dry base and I have a 40 gal DT with 80lb of LR. I had multiple concerns, the spike being one and putting something in my tank that might carry bad things. So, I'm inclined to cook the rock and be safe. Thanks for all the advice!!