help with blue jaw pair

truefishman

ok guys i know many people on the boards have asked this but what are some other foods that triggerfish like.i do have right now in qt a pair of bluejaws and they will absolutley eat nothing i cannot get them to eat.ive had tried mysis shrimp krill half open clams fresh out of the market shrimps ive tried vitamins and garlic.i just cannot get them to eat.does anybody have any suggestions on what to give them now.do i soak it in garlic longer to give the extra smell.btw these gys are very shy.but they are only shy when i walk in the room.but the qt tank is in my room and il wake up in the morning and they will act normal they will be swimming around like im not even in the room.i got these guys from a store that i certinaly trust and they were eating krill before i got them.do you think fish are only shy in qt and then move them in to the DT.does anybody have suggestions thanks a ton
-spencer

truefishman

a week and a half but if she has stayed alive that long i have to imagine that she has actually ate something but not actually accepted food when i was in the room feeding them

kjr_trig

She has likely been eating something....Have you tried feeding them with the lights off? It sure sounds like you are trying all the right things. It is really amazing how shy these Triggers can be at first, in particular the females.

truefishman

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2961220
She has likely been eating something....Have you tried feeding them with the lights off? It sure sounds like you are trying all the right things. It is really amazing how shy these Triggers can be at first, in particular the females.
thanks kirk, do you know of any other foods that works like magic with these guys or should i just keep feeding them the same stuff and hope that they will eventually eat?ya idk it might be female nature or something.haha

aquaknight

Have you tried another brands of mysis? Strongly recommend Piscine Engineering mysis if you haven't tried that brand. Scallops are a common favorite for all fish. Just dice into a small cubes. Also my old Blue Jaw really liked silversides.

truefishman

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2961332
Have you tried another brands of mysis? Strongly recommend Piscine Engineering mysis if you haven't tried that brand. Scallops are a common favorite for all fish. Just dice into a small cubes. Also my old Blue Jaw really liked silversides.
is there any size of silversides that they strongly like or is it all personal taste.
i use hikari mysis i think that it is the only brand of mysis that my local fish stores sell but i guess i will have to look around

aquaknight

I've only kept two Xanthichthys triggers, the old Blue Jaw, and my current Sargassum. The Blue Jaw like to work a large piece, mostly the smaller-to-medium sliversides cut in half. The Sargassum prefers diced pieces, only about 1/4". I'd say it's more about personal taste.
Yea, PE mysis are the largest type you can buy. IME, predators/meat eaters tend to like the larger mysis.

srfisher17

At this point, I'd even try guppies if the ghost shrimp don't work. You tried the fresh clam and this would have been my 1st suggestion. IMO, the big thing is that NEITHER, is eating; right? This sure points to something in the shipping/acclimation process that may go all the way back to something out of your control. I sure have no idea what, however. Wild guesses (chilled, exposure to too much copper, etc) wouldn't do much anyhow. But, then they were eating krill......keep us posted.

truefishman

i do not use copper because i have live rock and live sand in my QT.i have read many times that it is better to have LR and LS for a QT.so the option of copper is out.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Truefishman
http:///forum/post/2963247
i do not use copper because i have live rock and live sand in my QT.i have read many times that it is better to have LR and LS for a QT.so the option of copper is out.
I think the value of LR & LS in QT is debatable. But, almost all wholesalers, shippers, & many (if not most) lfs always use copper. It is much more common than many folks realize, I think it would be hard to find a fish that wasn't exposed to copper at some point during its journey. My mentioning copper was just a shot in the dark; trying to find a common denominator that would explain BOTH fish not eating.

gnorman

Thank you all for your input. Today was the first time the pair came out together to eat. The Female joined suit a minute after the Male began eating Krill. We will be trying Silversides and Ghost Shrimp once we obtain it and I will let you know if they display any different feeding habits.
As a side note, they have been in QT for 2 weeks now and they will let me stand in the hallway without hiding. However, the moment a foot makes it through the doorway threshold, they vanish. I am sure it is just a playful game of
on their part.

truefishman

no Truefishman is me Spencer, Gnorman is not Eric, Eric is on his mission and he will be back in a year cant wait.
Gnorman is another older brother who helps me with the tank.