help with bubble anemone

bad_fish

I think my bubble anemone may may be beyond help, but I thought I'd ask. I have had it about a month. It seams to have become limp and it's center is full of a white fleshy pulp-like substance. I thought this white stuff was waste at first, my Condy expells something that looks like this, but not white. Now I think the white stuff is the bubble tips gone bad.
Has this guy gone to the big fish tank in the sky, or is there hope?

bad_fish

I haven't taken it out of the tank to smell it, but yeah I guess you could say the center looks like goo. Looks kinda like a cotton ball as you pull it apart. (rotting flesh maybe?) The anemone crab that has been with it won't leave it, so I guess he thinks he is still getting something out of it.
I hate to take it out and chuck it unless I am sure it's dead.

dad

Sorry to say but you really need to take him out and see if he does smell. If you do not he could harm your whole tank!
If he doesn't smell great, Put him back and hope for the best.
Note: If you do get to put him back, make sure you put him where his base is not in direst light contact. Bubbles like this.
I have thrown things out of my tank just because I was worried.
Hard to do I know.

bad_fish

Okay, I smelled it. It wasn't knock you on the floor bad, but I wouldn't want that smell on my pillow either. I was worried about the other fish so I tossed it. It really was looking bad. When I pulled it from the rock it didn't even attempt to withdraw into itself, so I guess that was a bad sign.
Thanks for the input.
Another question, dad says not to place the bubble in the direct light. I wasn't aware of that, so it was center stage under the 55W PC light. Could this be what did him in?
Thanks again.
bad

dad

I did not mean to sound harsh or misleaing.
BTA's like to have their bases covered from the light. But they do need light themselves.
Most likely one in good healthy would move to do this on it's own.
Picking a healthy one out is the trick I think.
Sorry for the loss but a wise move IMO.
If you decide to get another; Let me know, ok?

bad_fish

hey dad thanks for the input. i didn't think it harsh at all. I know when something in the tank dies it spikes the amonia which can kill all the other fish and critters. I did err on the side of safety because my larger clown was swimming really strange, I figured the dying anemone was causing it. I didn't test the water, it was about 2am. Everyone else in the tank looks fine this morning.
I was thinking about getting another BTA in a week or two so the crab would have someone to cuddle with, but I looked this morning and he found my Condy and both appear happy. So I will hold off for a while.
Side note: I just put an electric scallop in yesterday. Wow, that's a cool critter!
Thanks for your help.
bad:)

bad_fish

I have a 25g high tank. 55W/10,000k 50/50 PC light. My tank is not very advanced, it's rather basic. I have about 1-1/2" CC, one powerhead and a 330 Penguin BioWheel rounding out my equipment. I have two small clowns, a purple psudo, and a stripped damsel for fish. My bubble tip anemone just died, leaving me with one choclate chip starfish, a Condy, three large snails (and one micro baby snail I found yesterday, but haven't seen since) and two small hermits. Oh yeah, I also have the electric scallop I just bought.
So there is very little bio-load on my system. The PC light is new, I had the standard light on until a few weeks ago. The tank has been up for about 8 months, and with this basic set up has worked well. I put the PC on after reading post after post on site. Prior to that my condy got sucked into the power head and lost 90% of its tenecales. It recovered slowly, but when I put the PC on it's regeneration rate improved at at lease 4x. So I am now a believer in PC lights. Kinda makes me think all the rest of the stuff I read hear has merit also...LOL