Help with Cody Anemones

mudplayerx

Hello,
I bought two condy anemones last night. I purchased a white one and a peach/brownish one. The white one found an overhang on a piece of liverock and settled pretty quickly. However, the peach-colored one seems to be less inclined to settle.
They both seem healthy, but the "stalk" of the peach one only sticks to the rock in about 1/3 of the base. The rest of the base won't stick to anything and the anemone kinda sways around.
Is this a normal phenomenon with anemones? Is it a problem? Will the rest of his stalk eventually regain the ability to stick to things along its entire base?
ALSO
I bought phytoplankton and a needle-less syringe to feed them. I know I am supposed to feed them every other day... but how much? How many millileters? How should I go about feeding them? Should I slowly squirt it around their tentacles, or directly into the center of them where the "mouth" is?
Thanks!

jdm_ae86

your condy is still probably moving to find its right spot..
and FYI, anenomes dont eat things so small as algae cells, you need to feed it shrimp, mussels, clam, etc. condy anenomes also get really big, i had one, and had to get rid of it, because it was starting to sting things around it..

mudplayerx

I found this:
Feeding/Foods/Nutrition: Types, Frequency, Amount, Wastes
Anemones possess rings of tentacles around their mouths used for prey collection and manipulation. These are arrayed with numerous stinging (cnidocysts) and sticky (spirocysts) cells below their surface. These specialized cells may be found in and on other body areas and assist in immobilizing and holding prey as well as warding off would-be predators.
Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.
For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation. Temporarily turn off your particulate filters and squirt the food onto their tentacular surface.
Some authors suggest the use of beef and other foods unlikely to be encountered in the wild. I do not.
posted on another site by Bob Fenner

jesatfis

Originally posted by JDM_AE86
your condy is still probably moving to find its right spot..
and FYI, anenomes dont eat things so small as algae cells, you need to feed it shrimp, mussels, clam, etc. condy anenomes also get really big, i had one, and had to get rid of it, because it was starting to sting things around it..

agreed between 10 anaomees at my job i use 3-4 cubes of frozen brineshrimp with a little turkey baster

mudplayerx

It's nearing the end of day two and my peach condy anemone still does not use over 85% of his foot to attach to anything. I think something may be wrong with him.
Also, I don't recommend anemones for reef tanks. Both of my anemones crawled into a crack in some liverock in the rear of my tank. I think they like it there and I probably will never get to watch them.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by mudplayerx
Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding.

You have no idea how many times I've said similar things, and that feeding is NO long term substitue for lighting, no one listend to me. I've gone 2 or more months without feeding my BTA's with no harm to them whatsoever.
People still think if they have week lighting they can substitue with feedings, wrong, in the long run wrong.
Thomas