Help with coral info!!

hlcroghan

Can someone give me insight as to ease/difficulty, attractiveness of these corals and are they appropriate for a 29 gallon (with fragging if necessary).
zoos-red and super green
leather-toadstool yellow
candy cane
bird's nest -pink
blue echinata
brain coral- glass goblet
purple mushroom coral
red planet table
trumpet coral
thanks for the advice and my lighting is GLO t-5 with actinic and high output bulbs

-tara33-

it depends on your lighting, most softies and lps are fine with t5 like you have, but the sps(birds nest,blue echinata) may not be, they love alot of flow and mh for lighting, but mushrooms, zoas, leathers, brains and candy canes will be fine, all of these come in some great colour morphs.
ps we love pictures

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2961450
it depends on your lighting, most softies and lps are fine with t5 like you have, but the sps(birds nest,blue echinata) may not be, they love alot of flow and mh for lighting, but mushrooms, zoas, leathers, brains and candy canes will be fine, all of these come in some great colour morphs.
ps we love pictures
i don't have them yet...thanks for the help.......hmmm, it may just be a try it out kind of thing. i will definitely take pics when i get them. you can look at my nano thread if you want. it's on the main page of nano at this time. thanks again!!!!

jerryatrick

zoos-red and super green
leather-toadstool yellow
candy cane
bird's nest -pink
blue echinata
brain coral- glass goblet
purple mushroom coral
red planet table
trumpet coral
The bird's nest might be fine but I would place it up as high as possible directly under the light. I have the exact same light fixture over my tank but it is over a 10 gallon tank. You are not going to have light coverage on the far right and left side of the tank so try to place everything directly under the light. Most of your wish list can be placed at the bottom or mid-level except for the bird's nest.
I believe that your fixture is only two bulbs (24wattsx2). There is only one reflector but it is by far one of the brightest I have ever seen. You only other options would be to upgrade the bulbs or buy another fixture like you already have and run both.

hlcroghan

They don't make a bulb for this fixture any brighter. I have the brightest one. It is the high output one that GLO makes. Is there another place to get one that will fit? I am okay with some areas of the tank having less light so that I can keep different corals. I would also like a rose bubble tip anemone because I understand they are smaller. Is this lighting appropriate?? Another fixture really wouldn't fit. It covers the entire top of the tank.......
Thanks so much for your responses!!!

jerryatrick

I have never searched for replacement bulbs. I was just under the assumption that you could replace it with a Giesemann or UVL bulb.
With that size tank and light fixture I wouldn't attempt an anemone. Even if the anemone found a nice place to latch onto at the top of the tank I don't think it would do well long term. Plus you would have to wait six months before you add one.

coralreefer

i wouldnt place any sps in the tank because of the 2 bulb T5 fixture. if you want to keep sps in your tank, you should get a T5 fixture that has at least 4 bulbs, and replace the bulbs with good brands, like giesemann or ATI.
hope that helps