Help With Dropping PH

brendac

Will alot of air from powerheads cause a PH to drop some? It was right at 8.2 I have been running my powerheads over the last few days with alot of air and now its at 8.0 Nervous cause tomorrow I have a fish order coming. Also is a KH reading of 161.1 too low? Please help me... I dont want my new fish to die and I want everything right for him. Oh my calcium is 400

greg803

kents makes a great 2 part additive that controlls cal & alk havent had a problem since I started using it. it works quickly

lion_crazz

A pH of 8.0 is fine. Your alkalinity and calcium are fine.
What do you mean you are running the powerheads with air? More oxygen (water movement) will actually increase your pH.
You can test to see if it is oxygen that's causing your low pH by putting tank water in a bowl, aerating it for 2 hours (with an air stone or powerhead) and testing the pH in that bowl. If it is higher than 8.0, than your tank is not getting enough oxygen.

brendac

Thanks so much... I just did 30g water change out of my 125g and checked the PH its now back to 8.2 Could it had needed that water change maybe?

lion_crazz

Yes, you probably did not have enough oxygen in the water.
If it begins to drop again, do the oxygen test I suggested and see if that is it. You may need an extra (or larger) powerhead in the aquarium.