Help with fighting clowns!

j_g

I introduced a new gold stripe clown into my tank today and THEY FIGHT. I was told they might depending on the relative sizes of each. I bought one I thought was larger but the it was deceiving. He was exactly the same size and they immediately starting fighting trying to rip each other fins off. The new one is hurt and is hiding in a corner. Does anyone know the answer to this madness. I wish I hadnt bought him but its too late. I tried to capture him to get him out of the tank but he wont let me.

karajay

You added a gold stripe maroon to what? Another maroon? They will probably fight until one is dead. Can you catch either one of them? Try catching it off-guard at night. It's usually easier for me to use a bucket instead of a net. Or, if not, then do you have anything you could use as a divider?

S

slofish

Yip, if you added a gold stripe maroon to a tank w/ another gold stripe maroon, they'll either mate or fight. My neighbor went through 4 different gold stripe maroons until he got one that paired up.
Also, if you added your maroon to a tank w/ a false perc, the maroon may be agressive toward your other perc. It shouldnt be agressive towards anything aside from clowns.

jonthefb

no.....if you want a pair, buy a mated pair....otherwise be content with a single clown!
good luck
jon

scarybo

I got lucky mating up a pair. However I added a clown that was two times bigger then my exsisting. If they are the same size you will need to remove one. They will fight to the death. Maroons are the hardest to pair.

clarkiiboi

I have been through this also, but with sebaes. It may of been a freak thing, but I had left the net in the tank b/c I gave up trying to catch either one and the new sebae found shelter in it and out it went to a 10 gall made just for it a day later. It was just out of luck that the net was left in an angle at the top of the tank and the original wanted no part of it.