Help with first saltwater tank

jba6511

this is my first post and my first time setting up a saltwater tank. I have had a freshwater tank for 6 months now and would like to give saltwater a go. I would like to set up a tank, either 10, 12, 15 or 20 gallons (biggest I can go due to space limitations), stock it with a clean up crew and clownfish as well as a star fish, add some live rock (a little to start and maybe add some more down the line), and still try to keep the project reasonably cheap and as simple as possible. I have been doing some research and have a few questions. For the equipment, I will need the following to get started, correct?
Tank
Filter
Heater
thermometer
hood (lighting)
hydrometer
Then I will need live sand and live rock - live rock at a pound per gallon
fish to stock
cleanup crew
What are the benefits of using live sand besides for the type of fish/invertebrates that you can keep and the cycling process? Are there any alternatives?
For live rock, is it possible to add as you go? Can you start with say 2 pounds in a 10 gallon? What exactly can be done with live rock?
The lighting - can the stock 15w bulbs provide enough lighting for live rock or is there a specific wattage that should be used?
Water- what are the options for saltwater. I am assuming I can use the tap water, dechlorinate it with prime, and then mix in the salt, or just buy the saltwater from the LFS. Is there anyway to cut with cost down? Also, are the water changes as frequent as freshwater (right now 20% each week)?
And finally, can anyone suggest some possible places to buy from to save some cash. Have tried aquabid but everyhting seems to be pick up only.
Sorry for all the questions but I am eager to know if this can be done.
Thanks

daredevil

Welcome to the forums and a very addicting hobby. I would definetly go with the 20, the biggest you can afford. You will be grateful later when u have extra space vs. smaller tanks. LS (live sand) is good because it offerse biological filteration to your tank ridding it of hamrful chemicals in you tank. It is filled with small animals, such as copepods, that can help clean up detritus (waste from food, droppings, etc.) in your sand. LR(live rock) is like LS as it has many small animals living in it. This will also help with biological filteration and it looks much more natural that fake stuff. And yes you can add as you go, but dont get way to much in one sitting, because it could cause another cycle. LR is fine with normal lighting. Do not use tap water as it has many impurities and nutrients that is bad for your tank and can cause unwanted algae growth. Use RO or RO/DI water. Those stands at Walmart where you fill up your jug is RO water. I always bought from my LFS because it was easier and they used RO/DI water. 20% a week is a bit much. 5-10% a week is good. Hope this helps out

chele

Crushed coral is an alternative to live sand. I've been told it is good for a tank because the calcium in CC helps buffer the pH of the tank, but it is a pain to vacumn and doesn't look as nice.
Get a saltwater test kit too, so you know for sure when your tank has cycled and it's OK to add fish. You may even want to test your water source for chems (if you decide to use tap water).
Check out local classifieds for hobbyists getting out/trading out and selling their tanks cheap. (clean everything well!!!)

jba6511

is there any benefit to using a nano like the one's in the link above that includes everything versus assemblying the tank, filter, etc yourself? Is it just the light and the quality of the products + the easy of setup. Also, can I use the stock, fluro lighting with live rock? Another question, I have read people on this site posting saying you should not use a filter with a biowheel? why not? I have a penguine with a biowheel that has worked fine in my freshwater setup. I think I am going to go with a 10 gallon tank to save some money and I do not mind doing the maintenance. Can someone recommend a good filter and heater. I was considering the Aquarium Sys Visi-Therm 75W Heater and would pick up a filter at the local fish store unless I can find a good deal on one online. Any suggestions.

chele

I have an Eclipse hood with everything built in, talk about easy setup. It really keeps evaporation down and looks good - no crap hanging out off the back of the tank. I've only used biowheels, which work fine in my opinion. The live rock is going to handle some of your bio-filtering anyway.