help with fish selection

zman2205

i have a 29 gal tank with just a 2" flame hawkfish in it. the reason he is the only one in there is bc he is quite aggresive (even offed my yellowtail damsel). im want at least a few more fish, but i dont want him to kill them. and i wont get rid of him either, i love the little guy. appreciate it

120reefer

Originally Posted by seasalt101
what about a porcupine puffer
NOO, def not a porc... hes way tooo big for a 29. unfortunately there arent too many other mature "small" fish that i can think of right now that can go in with him.. but im sure some others will chime in

seasalt101

was not sure on that one just knew a hawkfish wouldn't attack that what about another type of puffer ?

120reefer

Originally Posted by seasalt101
what about another hawkfish?
Could possibly do another hawk... however, just make sure to do another "passive" hawk like the flame to prevent conflict... although you can house 2 or more aggresive hawks in large systems.. i wouldnt recommend in a 29 by any means

debbie

Originally Posted by zman2205
thanks, ill prolly try the purple dottyback and see how that goes

Yep those dottybacks will not back down for anything. Very beautiful fish but can be quite aggressive.

sagxman

I'll second the dottybacks. I have a purple back pseudochromis and he's just mean. I found out the hard way he likes shrimp, but not as friends, as dinner. He doesn't mess with my clown though, luckily.