Help with Frag tank

lolgranny

I want to set up a new frag tank before i move into my new house and setup my 300gallon. I wanted to know what everyone thought of this and if anyone had any imput on it. I have had a 75gallon reef befor but never messed with frags so im new to that.
I want to setup about a 20gallon any ideas for me? I only want to get maybe a fish or 2, just to keep things flowing. nothing other then 1 rock and the grates to put plugs in.
Any ideas on the setup to maximize growth? remember i have NEVER done a frag tank and want to assure 70$ frags dont die :( lol
Thanks ahead of time,
Dave

lolgranny

Anyone? I figure the pros have some tips i could work from. I dont want to do this if its going to be bad news in a couple months. haha

wfd1008

I understand that space is sometimes an issue, but if you could go larger, i think that in the long run you'll be happier with it. IMO, just make sure you have a good filter and skimmer on it. also, depending on the types of corals you decide to frag, lights will be an issue. if you go with a 20 long, there are more lights to choose from that will fit the bill for just about all corals.

xcdennisx

what kinds frags are you tryin to keep? def look into t5 fixtures there alot cheaper than mh. just make sure you have good water flow and keep up with testing.

lolgranny

I want to get sps/lps
Im a big fan of acros / montis so im going to try to get a decent amount of them in the tank. Ill check out the T5 lighting, im not too concerned by the price if its within a couple hundred, i just want to assure i have the best lighting possible to maximize growth for the bad boys.
what type of filter do you think i should get? im use to wet dry's but a 20gallon seems uber small to have one on it haha. i dont think the hang on the back ones will be as good for it tho.
Whats your take on a hang on skimmer apposed to one which is in the wet dry?

bswe22

I have a 20 gal. reef set up. I have a pengiun 170 bio wheel (w/o bio wheel) and a Aqua C Ramora Nano protein skimmer. I am using a 24" AquaticLife T5HO light fixture. I have SPS, LPS, soft, zoes and mushrooms. Everything is doing great. You mentioned only wanting to put 1 peice of LR in your tank, I have about 30lbs in my tank. When I get home tonight I will post some picture for you to see.

lolgranny

Awesome, thanks boss.
I just figured i dont need alot of live rock unless it will help the frags out alot. If thats the case, which i figure it will then i will prob go ahead and put more then i initially said.

jackri

It went through a very rough patch of neglect, crap and hair algae lol. I've shaped up and it looks very clean again and full of healthy frags :D

lolgranny

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3214381
It went through a very rough patch of neglect, crap and hair algae lol. I've shaped up and it looks very clean again and full of healthy frags :D
Did you put all that together by yourself? How many gallons is it?

lolgranny

What does everyone think about me getting one of those cubes, with everything included insted of getting a tank / wet dry or a hanger / a metal halide ballast... personally i feel like those cubes are cheap and its a skimpy way to go about it but everytime i ask someone at a pet store they always try and sell me on them