help with gorgonian

xxianxx

i have recently ordered a gorgonian from saltwaterfish.com and i have had it for close to a week and the poulps arnt out yet wats wrong????

novahobbies

what kind of gorgonian do you have? Orange gorgonians will sometimes close up for days at a time with no ill effects. Yellow gorgonians are often more active, but even they will close up for a while if they feel like it. Also, many gorgonians are active when the tank lights are off more than during the day, so it may be that your new gorgonian is feeding while you're sleeping. Finally, stress factors are a big issue with gorgonians. When I got my first yellow G. it took almost a full week for it to open up, and that was just from a trip from the LFS. I can imagine that a shipping trip would be more stressful.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much yet. Are you dosing phytoplankton? If not, try a dose or two and see if it stimulates their filter response. Good luck!

xxianxx

yea i have a orange gorgo and im feeding it frozen reef plankton one to two times a day.So im guessing when it gets humgry its poulps will come out right? but a lil bit of algey is starting to grow on it will that effect it? and also if heard it should litterly be binding in the water flow is this true??? Thanks.

novahobbies

I'm not sure I know what you mean..... binding in the water flow??
But yeah, the polyps will extend when its hungry. You may be overfeeding, I only feed mine live phytoplankton 3 times a week and they're fine. That also may be why you are having an algae problem. You definitely need to keep any algae off the gorgonian, it will smother and kill the polyps. Keep it in a moderately high flow area of the tank and that will also help keep algae off the branches.