HELP with green bristle starfish

jmestayer1

Two days ago I noticed that my green bristle was missing a leg and some of his flesh was exposed. Today, I found another leg missing and even more flesh exposed. I have taken him out of the tank and into the qt, but I don't think he will make it :notsure: Any advice????? Please help!!!!! :help:

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Jmestayer1
Two days ago I noticed that my green bristle was missing a leg and some of his flesh was exposed. Today, I found another leg missing and even more flesh exposed. I have taken him out of the tank and into the qt, but I don't think he will make it :notsure: Any advice????? Please help!!!!! :help:
When did you buy him? How did you acclimate him? What are your water readings and how old is your system?

jmestayer1

My tank is two months, need to check levels, but everything else is doing well, and I didn't acclimate him, the LFS said to just drop him in! He's been in there for 3 weeks and was doing great!

sepulatian

My tank is two months, need to check levels, but everything else is doing well, and I didn't acclimate him, the LFS said to just drop him in! He's been in there for 3 weeks and was doing great!
He is dying from acclimation shock which can often take a month. Your lfs informed you badly. Stars need long acclimation time (4+ hrs) All salt fish need at least 3 hrs acclimation time. Stars also do not generally do well in newer systems. I am guessing you just dropped him into the qt as well? I am sorry to say that he is not likely to survive.

ophiura

Unfortunately, moving to a QT without acclimation is a very bad idea. What are your SPECIFIC TANK PARAMETERS in the QT (and the display tank). As mentioned, I also believe the star is dying from acclimation shock. In addition, your tank is pretty young for a star of any type.
I do not give up quickly on these stars. I have seen some in dismal shape (all arms lost) and now they are very very healthy. But in order to help, we must get your parameters into the ideal range. At the very least, this means a specific gravity of 1.025-1.026. If you are not at this level, it is advisable to slowly raise this by topping off with saltwater instead of fresh.

jmestayer1

Well, thank you for your advice, but this morning the starfish is laying on his back in the QT with no legs left and no movement
I guess I will have to check here instead of listening to my LFS. Thanks.

sepulatian

Well, thank you for your advice, but this morning the starfish is laying on his back in the QT with no legs left and no movement
I guess I will have to check here instead of listening to my LFS. Thanks.
I am sorry to hear that.