Help with hair algae

jrse7en

I have a nice 5X7 Zoo colony that attracts hair algae. I don't have much in my tank but for some reason the green stuff loves to grow on my Zoo rock. I've been pulling this stuff for a while now and im starting to think I probably need more flow to keep the algae and various suspended debris from landing on the rock. Are these things supposed to sway in the water. Im not sure how much flow to aim at these guys without harming them. I know they like alot of light but im not sure about the flow.

slice

You might have trapped detritus between the polyps, I've seen it in mine. Take a turkey baster and gently blow between the polyps and see if you get crap blown out from amongst them. I've had cyano do the same thing around/between polyps from trapped detritus.

jrse7en

Ok i'll do that more often. I changed their position in the tank to keep them away from wherever any detritus may settle. I think I will be fine in the future but now I need to get rid of these little sprouts. Hopefully an invert will find it and take care of it. I don't want to hit it with a toothbrush or anything and hurt a polyp.

weaponusmc

According to Anthony Calfo, author of "Book of coral Propagation" states "Many species known as "hair algae" can easily be reduced by daily skimming plus a strong and strictly sustained pH of 8.6"
Hope this helps.