Help with Hippo Tang

hanzo26

I have had a hippo tang now for almost 7 mos. and he has these tiny wounds or something on his head that don't seem to be healing or getting better. I had an ich outbreak in my 60 gal tank about 3 mos. ago and hypoed all of the fish (hippo, 2 perculas, maroon, 5 chromis). During the hypo treatment, the hippo stayed in this dead coral for most of the time because, well they are shy i guess, but the coral was somewhat rough to the touch and I figured the tang just received the wound from scraping on the coral. The hippo's wounds or whatever it is seemed to heal a little once the fish were put back into the DT, but not fully. It has now been a couple months since they have been back into the DT. Have any of you seen this before or have any advice to what I should do? I guess I can try and take some pics of him and post them. Thanks for any advice!

sepulatian

Take a look in the diseased fish pics at Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Tell us if this looks like what your fish has.

hanzo26

I think it is the head and lateral line erosion. How do I help this little guy get better? It doesn't really seem to be getting any better. I feed him algae strips every other day, formulas one pellets, marine life pellets and pieces of krill.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Hanzo26
I think it is the head and lateral line erosion. How do I help this little guy get better? It doesn't really seem to be getting any better. I feed him algae strips every other day, formulas one pellets, marine life pellets and pieces of krill.
Pick up some frozen formula foods, vitamines and add some fresh garlic to his food.

hanzo26

What vitamins do I buy for the fish, I never bought just vitamins before? As for frozen foods, would mysis shrimp do?

sepulatian

What vitamins do I buy for the fish, I never bought just vitamins before? As for frozen foods, would mysis shrimp do?
Mysis does not have enough nutrition in it. Pick up formula 1 and 2. They are a mixture of meats and seaweed. Jullian sprugs sea veggies is another good one. For vitamines, you can use vitachem, selcon, zoecon, or reefplus.

sepulatian

The formula 1 and 2 is a frozen food? Thanks for all the help.
Yes. Formula foods are much better than single foods like mysis because each cube has a variety of ingredients. Variety is very important for the health of your fish. Ask us anything you would like anytime