help with ID please

phunckie

My dad just purchased an existing 75g tank and moved it to his house. He was moving some of the rock around, and he found something that I couldn't help him ID. Any help here would be appreciated.
This one is a little distorted, but the main part of it looks similar to a zoo polyp, but is white (ish) and brown, and it has tentacles surrounding it.

The second shot is from the side, and shows the tentacles a little better.

Sorry the picture quality is so bad. This is not the world's best camera.

phunckie

I have seen and killed off Aptasia, and this doesn't look like any I've seen.
All of the Aptasia I've seen have been a solid color. The tentacles on this thing are striped. It is much more colorful than any of the aptasia I have seen before.

dogstar

Does it look sorta like this? If so then its still Aiptasia....Aiptasia is the genus name and there are several different looking species of them.

phunckie

it looks a little like that....
the tentacles actually look like they have bubbles on them, and the mouth area looks different....

phunckie

That stinks. It's really cool looking.....
I also just assumed that if there was aptasia of that size in the tank that they would be everywhere, but this is the only one.
Oh, well... Joe's Juice it is......

dogstar

Stripes and bubbles...ummm, perhaps a Phymanthus Species but cant say from those photos then..Theres thousands of anemone species. Are you useing close up mode ? The camera looks like it focuses OK farther away.

sirmordrid

i was told it is a nusance annome. that is all i know it buy i have two on my live rock from whe i bought it. i have not had any problems with them