Help with Lighting

rmf

I have a 55 gal tank and am pondering two lighting systems:
1) 4 x 96 = 384w PC
2) MH with 2 Actinic Bulbs
I would like to be able to house pretty much any type of coral without another upgrade. The PC's would give me approx 7w per gallon and are about half the price of MHs.
However, I am leaning toward MH, it seems they are the best. Would you suggest 2x 175w or 2x-250w (too much heat)?
If I go with MH, do you suggest I upgrade to the MH/VHO option?
Thanks

mr . salty

I would go MH if you can.But over a 55 heat will be a BIG problem.I wouldn't go over 175 watts per bulb.You may even want too look for 150 watters.I have seen a few places that offer the double 150. I agree that the vho would be better for the 50/50,or daylights.

rmf

Thanks for the reply. I am concerned about the heat off MHs. Is there anything drastically wrong in going with the PCs?
My other concern is the depth of the MH fixture. I think it is a hair more in depth then my tank.

Have you considered VHO? I am having great results with my new VHO system. Animals are laying down new coral, and anemones are splitting. Life on the reef is amazing healthy.
All this AFTER I switched to VHO, from PC.
Just another thought, and my humble .02.
Hermit

rmf

Mr Salty:
Do you feel that the heat from the MH will still be a big problem if I switch to 150 watts?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you raise the MH fixture higher above the water [say 12-14"] and use fans, then you will have less problems with heat. Also, use e-ballasts, which cool things down a bit.

rmf

I picked up a MH fixture today with 2 175w and 2 x 110 VHO. The lighting is awesome! The corals love it already.
I am looking for comments on the following:
1) The lighting fixture covers my entire top. Are there any secrets to adding chemicals and food without having to remove the fixture totally off the top?
2) The remote ballast. I do not have room under my tank and I was thinking of puting it in a small cabinet next to the tank. The ballast seems to get hot. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks