Help with lighting

missi

Is 130 wts ok for a 20 gallon tank (trying to build a reef tank)? The light is on top of the canopy, which is about 8 inches from the top of the aquarium.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

teresaq

Hi missi. I am sooo sorry those Guys where sooo rude on your other thread. most people here are nice. what can i try and help you with.
What kinds of corals are you wanting to keep. you should be fine for shrooms, leathers and zoos. most soft corals

missi

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Hi missi. I am sooo sorry those Guys where sooo rude on your other thread. most people here are nice. what can i try and help you with.
What kinds of corals are you wanting to keep. you should be fine for shrooms, leathers and zoos. most soft corals
Thanks for the support! Right now I have a chili coral and an anemone. There are also some "things" on one of my lr that seem to be feather dusters.
Thanks again!

travis89

Also is that PC, t5 or metal halide? If its halidethen you can keep anything you want, if its PC or t5 you can keep softies(mushrooms, xenia, leathers, and zoos) and LPS(frogspawn, hammer, torch)

missi

Originally Posted by Travis89
Also is that PC, t5 or metal halide? If its halidethen you can keep anything you want, if its PC or t5 you can keep softies(mushrooms, xenia, leathers, and zoos) and LPS(frogspawn, hammer, torch)
Ok, you got me!! I don't mean to sound dumb, but I don't excatly know what PC or t5 is
. Sorry, but I'm fairly new.
Thanks!

teresaq

Pc-Power compact
T5- high output floresent
How big around are the bulbs-how many bulbs
can you post a picture.

missi

Pc-Power compact
T5- high output floresent
How big around are the bulbs-how many bulbs
can you post a picture.
I'm at work right now, so I can't post until tomorrow, but it is a flourescent bulb and a "regular bulb" each about 24 inches. Does that help?

missi

is it a unit or retro kit mounted in a wood canopy.
It's a unit that I purchased separately.

some1fishy

sorry miss, didnt mean to jack your last post, but some of those people were annoying me! Its unfortunate what happened to you, but chalk itup as a learning mistake. Or as somone put it, the cost for an education. Again, if I upset you, I apologize. I dont think I was rude to you though.
As for your lights, you have 6.5 watts per gallon. And a "general rule"** is around 8-10 watts to keep all corals. So you should be ok to keep the lps' and leathers and stuff as previously mentioned.
** the general rule of 8-10watts per ga is only for a reference. It should never be taken literal. It truly depends on the tank size. Some my have a 55 long and it is 18" deep for instance and if you put 550 watts of lights on it in a canopy, you'd fry the corals; unless you suspend it from the ceiling giving you a little more room inbetween the water and light. If you had a 55 high, 550 watts would be excellent under a canopy, however you will need to probably add a chiller as it "may" heat up the water if it isn't equipped with a fan unit.
Thats just my .02 (hope it is more of a help)

missi

Originally Posted by Travis89
Was it real expensive or not. Like around $50 or more like $150?
$199.00 to be exact.

missi

Originally Posted by some1fishy
sorry miss, didnt mean to jack your last post, but some of those people were annoying me! Its unfortunate what happened to you, but chalk itup as a learning mistake. Or as somone put it, the cost for an education. Again, if I upset you, I apologize. I dont think I was rude to you though.
As for your lights, you have 6.5 watts per gallon. And a "general rule"** is around 8-10 watts to keep all corals. So you should be ok to keep the lps' and leathers and stuff as previously mentioned.
** the general rule of 8-10watts per ga is only for a reference. It should never be taken literal. It truly depends on the tank size. Some my have a 55 long and it is 18" deep for instance and if you put 550 watts of lights on it in a canopy, you'd fry the corals; unless you suspend it from the ceiling giving you a little more room inbetween the water and light. If you had a 55 high, 550 watts would be excellent under a canopy, however you will need to probably add a chiller as it "may" heat up the water if it isn't equipped with a fan unit.
Thats just my .02 (hope it is more of a help)

no need to apologize ---
ok, it does have a fan so maybe I won't fry anything. However, it is a shallow 20g; don't know the dimensions but is is long and shallow, but as I said before the canopy is about 8 inches above the aquarium.
Thanks again!

missi

now you have me wondering. cant wait to see a picture of this unit. how wide is it.
I did a Google search and it's an "Aqualight™ Deluxe Series 130 Watts w/Fans • 2-65 watt 50/50™ Compact Fluorescent Lamps Included. --- Does that help? Hope I'm not being anoying, but what I gather is that it should be ok for my tank.
Thanks!!!